All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, June 7, 2008

From the Farmer's Market: Chard Soup


Every Saturday, beginning three weeks ago, I visit either the Hancock, NH Farmer's Market, or the Keene, NH Farmer's Market to buy five or six fresh, organic vegetables to use during the week. Sometimes, it's a challenge to come up with a new recipe - but today, I had made this soup last week and loved it -so I made it again, using the Bright Lights chard from Thomas Hanna at the Keene Market.
To make:
4 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, smushed
1 chopped onion
1 T. cumin
1 red skinned potato, diced
3-4 cups chard, stems and leaves chopped ( keep separate)
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper
Heat olive oil, and add garlic and cumin. Stir and cook a few minutes.
Add the onion and cook for five minutes.
Add the diced potato and the chicken( or vegetable) stock and bring to a simmer.
Add the chard stems and cook until the potato is tender.
Add the chopped chard leaves and cook another five minutes.
Use an immersion blender ( or regular blender) to puree the soup.
Serve with rustic bread and butter or oyster crackers.
To find out your closest Farmer's Market, just go to LocalHarvest.org. Support your local farmers! And buy organic whenever possible. Thanks!


4 comments:

Kelci said...

Hi Katrina!
It's been awhile - I've moved to Burlington VT and have been keeping busy enjoying the warm weather, but wanted to pop in and say how DELICIOUS this soup looks - that's the most beautiful bunch of chard I've seen yet this season!

I love the blog, and your photos are stunning. Hope this finds you happy and doing well; I'm sure I'll be reading more of your scrumptious recipes soon!

-Kelci

she's in the kitchen said...

Kelci! How wonderful to hear from you! I don't know if you ever did get to the Keene Farmer's Market, but I'm so impressed with their produce - and presentation. Thanks so much for your kind words re the blog, which I'm totally and completely enjoying. I expect we'll hear from you someday with "Lulu's Cookbook".....

Kelci said...

Someday I'll make a recipe book - at the very least, I've gotten much better about writing my recipes down as soon as I have a successful one (not knowing what I put in a recipe was a bit of a drawback when it came to writing my cookbook!). The recipe file box is getting full, so I'm hoping to start sorting things out soon.

Glad you're going well - keep the recipes coming! :)

she's in the kitchen said...

Glad to hear you're still "in the kitchen", Kelci! Yes. About recipes....hummmm, it took many, many months before I learned to keep a pen and paper right on the cutting board in the kitchen. What you think you'll remember while doodling with a recipe is not always true! Thanks and happy cooking!