All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

lemon glazed teacakes with strawberries and mint



I will never understand the whimsy of baking. I was making tiny lemon cakes for the second time in two weeks, mostly to admire the ceramic cake mold my friend Mr. B brought me back from Italy. I thought I'd try out my new mini bundt pan while I was at it, and wouldn't you know? Half the cakes stuck, in spite of greasing them well, including the lovely ceramic one. I'm chalking it down to the humidity, which remains high after umpty ump weeks of rain.
I diced some strawberries, not being in the mood (highly unusual) for whipped cream, and macerated them in an orange juice, mint, and lemon verbena sauce I had reduced. Very cheery!
To make the lemon cake:
Preheat oven to 335F.
Grease mini bundt pan or small cake molds.
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (12 T.) softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 T. fresh lemon zest ( microplaned)
3 extra large eggs
2 1/4 cups King Arthur flour
1/2 t. baking soda
pinch of salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/4 t. nutmeg
Beat the butter, sugar and zest til fluffy-creamy.
Add the eggs and mix well.
Add the flour, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, nutmeg, and lemon juice and mix again til creamy and smooth.
Fill the cake tins a little over halfway and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the center is firm to a gentle touch. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
Make the lemon glaze:
1/2 cup lemon juice ( fresh)
1/2 cup sugar
Simmer briefly until sugar is completely dissolved.
Unmold cakes when cool and brush glaze on cakes several times.
Strawberries in orange juice, mint, and lemon verbena sauce:
Dice strawberries ( enough for 2 tablespoons berries per cake)
In small saucepan, mix:
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (Tropicana's fine)
2 leaves lemon verbena
4 large leaves mint
a few teaspoons sugar (optional)
Simmer gently for five or so minutes, remove from heat.
Let juice sit until cool.
Remove leaves from juice/glaze, and pour over diced strawberries.
Mound strawberries on top of glazed cakes and serve.
Enjoy!
Featured in Photograzing!

12 comments:

Nancy (TheSensitivePantry.com) said...

So pretty! I have a mini-bundt from France. I bought it for decoration and have never thought to actually bake in it. (I thought it was a gelatin mold!) I may give it a try now - starting with this recipe. Thanks!

lisaiscooking said...

What a pretty ceramic pan! The macerated strawberries sound great.

katrina said...

Nancy, I never even thought of anything else but trying it out ASAP for a cake! Tricky. You can't put too much batter in it or you'll have to slice off the top to stabilize it ( that happened the first time). I think you'll love this cake as much as I do! Thanks for the swing-by!

katrina said...

isn't it adorable, lisa? It really does work, but I've put in an order for at least 6 more the next trip he makes to Italy so I can have matching desserts:) Loved the berries this way - they're a little less sloppy than huge, whole berries....thanks!

Sonia said...

Mmmmmmmmm.....I love the idea of that sauce, Katrina.....and I love your Italian ceramic mold.

katrina said...

Sonia! How good to hear from you! I'm sure your life is as hectic as mine, which is why I keep dropping the ball on checking in with you!
I do love the Italian cake mold, and plan to keep trying different cakes using it. And happy you like the strawberry sauce! Thanks so much for coming by!

Sonia said...

;-) I just posted an article about mint with some recipes at Gather recently..... Mint seems to be uppermost in 'my awareness' at the moment....

La Table De Nana said...

Gorgeous! I will have to try them..no enough hours in my days these days!

katrina said...

nana - I just saw your blog and it is just beautiful! Where are you? It looks like France?
So pleased you enjoyed these humble cakes - and so pleased to see your blog and gorgeous photos!

Jen said...

I adore dainty desserts and your mini-mold is precious. The lemon verbena sauce sounds wonderfully flavorsome.

Chef Fresco said...

How cute! Lots of steps, but I bet it was totally worth it!

katrina said...

Thanks, jen and Chef Fresco! Sorry to be so late getting back, but my computer died & am using a borrowed on......glad you enjoyed! I just realized this would be awesome for a 4th of July picnic as well.