All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, August 3, 2009

summer milk pudding with rum, berries, and caramel








Yesterday was a perfect lazy summer day. Between the two mysteries I read, I browsed one of my favorite cookbooks; Lee Bailey's Country Weekends. I discovered him just after Martha Stewart's Living magazine started being published - his cookbooks really pioneered beautiful food pictures, simple and tasty recipes with a Southern slant, and gorgeous glimpses of his vacations abroad and stateside.
I was intrigued with his milk pudding recipe - not really a custard, but a briefly cooked pudding that's lightened by stiff, sugared egg whites. I couldn't decided whether I wanted to garnish with black raspberries or caramel from The Secrets of Baking, so I did both. And I loved them both! The pudding is light and served at room temperature - a nice end to a summer meal, whether barbeque or simply soup and salad. I think you'll like this sweet , milky pudding. And the best part ( besides eating)? The scent of sweet milk.
To make:
If you're using the book, please note there's a typo that leaves out half the flour.
2 cups whole milk
2 large or extra large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 T. King Arthur flour, or all purpose flour
1/2 t. grated nutmeg
1 T. dark rum
pinch of salt
Fresh berries, or fruit to garnish or a heaping tablespoon of creamy caramel sauce - or both.
In heavy saucepan, let milk slowly come to a low boil.
Beat the egg yolks and add 1/4 cup of the sugar and the flour.
Scoop the egg yolk mixture into the hot milk, and whisk on medium until it thickens.
Add the rum and nutmeg and stir again with the whisk. Remove from heat.
Beat the egg whites until stiff, then beat in the sugar.
Fold the egg whites into the hot pudding, then whisk until all the bits of egg white are incorporated.
Pour into bowls or souffle ramekins and let cool. This pudding should be served at room temperature, so don't stick it in the fridge! ( I wouldn't leave it out more than a few hours, even though it is cooked)
Garnish with berries or caramel sauce, or both. Serves 5 or so.
Caramel Sauce ( partly based on Sherry Yard's recipe)
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 T. light corn syrup
Note: You MUST use a candy thermometer.
Combine water, corn syrup, and sugar in heavy saucepan.
Stir carefully, trying not to get dry sugar crystals on the sides of the pan.
Cover pan and place on medium heat for 4 minutes.
Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Do not stir.
When temperature reaches 300F and syrup is golden, remove from heat.
Let bubbles subside, and stir carefully. Nothing is worse than a sugar burn.
Add:
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 T. sugar
2 t. fresh lemon juice
1 T. unsalted butter
pinch of salt
Stir again and let cool.
Enjoy!
Featured on TasteSpotting!

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

With all of these blissful treats in one dish, you spoil us.

katrina said...

I'm struck speechless, Jennifer - that is the dearest comment! Thank you and delighted, as always, that you enjoyed...

Amanda said...

It look absolutely decadent! Definitely on my list to try :)

katrina said...

Amanda, if you're thinking this is a rich pudding, it isn't - not in a heavy cream, creme brulee sort of way. But it's a lovely soft, milky pudding, that meshes really well with berries and that caramel! So glad you liked - thanks!

lisaiscooking said...

Great idea to go for both toppings! Sounds delicious.

katrina said...

Thanks, Lisa - tho the toppings are quite different, they both went so well with the pudding. And I did end up chilling them, which worked just fine - not quite the same feel, but lovely all the same.

Cathie said...

wow..your recipes are fantastic and your pics are to die for!!

Barb said...

Your pictures are so delicious-looking! I do believe you could make anything look heavenly - you make me want to try everything you post!

By the way, I'm curious - are you planning to go see the movie "Julie & Julia"?

katrina said...

Hey Cathie - what a sweet comment - thank you very much! You just made my day, and I'm delighted you enjoyed the recipe and the pictures!

katrina said...

Thanks for your sweet words, Barb - and Julie and Julia? I've been chomping at the bit to see this movie! I can't wait. The trailers have shown Meryl to be the perfect, most wonderful, Julia! The folks in charge of publicity have been wonderful to so many food bloggers, and very savvy about the foodie world.

Barb said...

It's me again (pesky, aren't I?) Did you read the book 'Julie & Julia", and, if so, what did you think about it?

I can't wait to go see it either - I think you are so right about Meryl Streep - she does appear to be perfect in the role!

katrina said...

Hi Barb -
I did read Julie and Julia and enjoyed it very much. I had started to read it some years ago, but didn't like it. This time I really got into it. Who knows why that happens with books? Reading "Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol.1" and then deciding to cook her way through the book, you do see the subtle change in Julie's approach to food - and also her self esteem. Interesting.

kellypea said...

"Lazy summer day..." I wish! So envious. I have one of Bailey's fabulous books. The whole weekend in the country get away with food is great escape reading for me. Haven't heard his name come up in a while. Your pudding sounds comforting and delicious -- lovely photos...

katrina said...

Hey, Kelly! Sad to say, Lee Bailey died some years ago - I know, I was shocked when I found out - he seemed like someone who'd be around forever. Interesting to follow the trail of cookbooks that inspired you ( or me), isn't it? Thanks for stopping by to smell the sweetness of this milk pud!