All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, December 14, 2009

roasted sugared almonds and walnuts with cinnamon





I found this recipe on Two Peas and their Pod, and I love it! Crunchy, not-too-sweet almonds and walnuts rolled in cinnamon sugar and roasted for an hour are not only perfect for gift-giving, but a fairly healthy snack, too. Most roasted nuts are tossed in melted butter, but this recipe uses beaten egg whites as a binder instead - smart thinking.
The only thing I changed for the second batch I made was to make twice as much cinnamon sugar coating - it's so delicious I wanted even more on those toasty walnuts and almonds.
Recipe from Two Peas and their Pod
1 egg white
1 t. cold water
2 cups whole almonds or walnuts
3 T. white sugar
3 T. brown sugar
1 T. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
Preheat your oven to 250F (My oven is hot, so I set it at 225F)
Beat the egg white and water with a whisk til frothy, then add the almonds or walnuts and stir well until coated.
Mix the sugars , salt and cinnamon together and sprinkle over nuts. Stir gently to coat the nuts evenly.
Fit a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spread the nuts out evenly.
Place in oven for an hour, stirring every 20 minutes or so. Let cool completely before storing in airtight containers.


22 comments:

Maria said...

I am so glad you liked them! I need to make some more:)

katrina said...

Thank you again for an AWESOME recipe, Maria! I liked them with walnuts just as much. Yum, yum - that's a keeper.

La Table De Nana said...

They look great..I have a few recipes and none like this one..I think I love yours!!!

katrina said...

Ah, Nana - don't thank me! Maria posted the recipe and it looked so amazing I had to give it a try!
However, I obviously have good taste:)
Thanks!

La Table De Nana said...

It's all printed..I'll let you know!

katrina said...

Nana - would love your feedback - I'm sure you'll find them as delicious as I did!

Free Samples said...

This is great!! I am so glad you posted this!

Thank you!!!!

Chef Fresco said...

Mmm candied nuts are the best! Look delicious!

Lindsey Frances said...

I'm definitely making these for xmas gifts this year. I just found your blog & I'm glad I did. I've just solved the gift dilemma.

katrina said...

Free Samples - glad you enjoyed! Thanks so much!

katrina said...

Thanks, Chef(s) Fresco!

Wonderful recipe - and I've got five bags of these marvelous nuts all ready to be handed out! That was easy:)

katrina said...

Thank you, Sophie! Thems tasty nuts - and a really easy recipe!
Love it!

katrina said...

Hey, Lindsey! Glad to be introduced to your blog - and delighted you enjoyed this recipe! Easy, tasty, and good for you ( or whoever you're giving it to) - thanks for dropping in!

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Hello Katrina! Glad to make your Christmas aquaintance!!!!! Nana sent me and I'm glad she did!...I am loving you foodie bloggers and all I'm learning. The internet is a wonderful tool...I have everything to make these wonderful nuts come to life....so, I'lll give them a try. Have a Delicious Christmas my new friend, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

katrina said...

Pleased to meet you, Kathy - and much enjoyed your winter/Christmas photographs!
Nana and her blog just knocks me out and I only hope someday I'll have a re-design that's half as good as hers.
I think you'll LOVE those roasted walnuts and almonds - I've been nibbling at them all week, and packaging them up for a healthy, but sweet nibble for friends.
And food bloggers? Fabulous. Never a dull moment with them around - and lots of fabulous recipes and ideas!

Deb Guerra said...

These sounded so good, I made them the day I received the post and gave them as gifts. Everyone who received them raved. Thanks for posting the recipe.

katrina said...

That's wonderful, Deb! I haven't gotten any feedback on the ones I've given away, so it's good to hear back from you. I've been nibbling away at the sole bag I had "left over":)

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

This looks wonderful!!

katrina said...

Very popular at Christmas, Sinful - but great anytime - and, they're pretty much fat free! Glad you enjoyed and thank you!

elizabeth said...

Did you double the egg and water also, or just the sugars, spices and salt?

katrina said...

Elizabeth, at the time I just doubled the sugar/spices/salt, but now I've gone back to the original recipe, which is very reliable.

katrina said...

Just making this again, doubling the recipe, roasting at 250 degrees for an hour, turn off heat, and letting nuts sit in the cooling oven another 20 minutes. I doubled the egg whites, sugars, cinnamon,- and added a little more kosher salt.