All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, November 22, 2010

brussels sprouts chiffonade with lemon and thyme



Oh, what a crazy several days! My computer got hit with several somethings that left me without access - just as the holiday was gearing up to Thanksgiving Day. Friend Will ( wizard of computers) has patched things together via email directions, until my savvy son can review what happened when he comes on Thursday - I'm just sorry that will be less time to visit with him.
Now, on to the brussels sprouts. This has been a staple for all my Thanksgivings - my father usually just boiled them to death and served with butter. My daughter likes to roast them, but I love this very quick saute/simmer , with the aroma of fresh thyme and the tang of lemon juice, which also helps the brussels sprouts stay that lovely green color.
This recipe makes about 3 servings, so multiply as you need to. If you're cooking them in several batches, makes sure everything is prepared and it shouldn't take too long at all. The only tedious part is trimming and slicing the brussels sprouts, but they're so pretty done that way, it's worth the time and trouble.
Brussels Sprouts Chiffonade

~
I used about three handfuls of sprouts, which I bought loose. Wash the sprouts, trim the ends, and slice each sprout very thinly, a cut which is known as chiffonade.

2 cups brussels sprouts, cut in chiffonade
2 T. olive oil
2 T. water
1/2 t. kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
1-2 t. fresh thyme leaves, stripped from stem
2 T. fresh lemon juice

Place the water and olive oil in a large skillet and heat on medium high.
Add the brussels sprouts, salt, and pepper, then stir and turn down heat to medium low. Cover the skillet and cook for about 8 minutes, then uncover and stir in the fresh lemon juice.
Remove from heat and serve.

3 comments:

Barb said...

I love brussels sprouts, but what I really love about this post is the photo of the two sprouts on the white plate - it is beautiful!! You really have an amazing talent for photography (just another one of you many talents???)

And in case it just gets to crazy between now and Thanksgiving, please let me with you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving! Blessings to all!

katrina said...

Oh, blessings to you and yours, Barb. You know what's weird? I tried to upload this post just before my computer died - I thought it hadn't gone through! Nice to see on a very different computer at the library :)

Barb said...

Hi Katrina! Just checking in and hoping all is well with you.

...and I made the cranberry scones for T'giving - delicious! and gone in an instant! (That's what happens when you have to share those goodies with other :) )