All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, September 10, 2011

old fashioned peach cake




The glorious peach season continues, I'm happy to say. And, while I'd thought of making some peach and ginger jam for winter, I just couldn't put the idea of a fluffy cake topped with juicy peach slices and sprinkled with sugar out of my mind. And, because I knew I'd have to "taste" it, I put the diet aside - maybe until turnip season. There would be no chance at all I would be tempted to make a turnip cake, or turnip anything.


I adapted this from a southern cookbook and The Silver Palate cookbook. I baked it in an 8" x 2" cake pan; part of a wedding cake set I have that I love because of that two inch lip. And it's heavy , so cakes don't burn.


To make:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease an 8"x2" round cake pan.

For the cake:

4 T. softened unsalted butter

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

1 cup King Arthur all purpose flour

1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 t. baking powder

large pinch of salt

2 T. topping mix( see below) plus more for the top

four or five peeled and sliced peaches

Cream the butter and sugar in mixer bowl. Beat in the egg and 2 tablespoons of the topping mixture, then add the flour, salt, and baking powder and milk.
Scrape into the cake pan.
Arrange the peach slices in a circular pattern, then sprinkle with sugar and the topping mix.
Bake for 35 minutes, until the cake is firm in the center when gently touched.
Let cool very well before cutting into slices.

The topping mixture:
4 T. soft unsalted butter
1/4 t. nutmeg
pinch of salt
1/3 t. grated lemon peel
1/3 cup sugar
Mix until combined.
I use this both in the batter, and on top of the cake.

Enjoy the season!

5 comments:

Marianne said...

Katrina, your peach cake is beautiful; a work of art! I love stopping here to see what you have been up to ... and I am never disappointed!

katrina said...

Thanks, sweet lady Marianne! So pleased you enjoyed, and merci so much for your comment! Nothing beats peach season:)

Sashquatch said...

A truly gorgeous cake, I adore fruity based bakes like this and before summer is out I really hope to give this one a go :) It looks absolutely delicious and so so pretty! :)

Barb said...

A big, fat YUM! to peaches!! (I think fruit of the heavens!) and a big, fat Thank You to you for a delicious peach cake recipe - just the right size too!!

katrina said...

Thank you, Sasha and Barb - delighted you like that peach cake! And Barb, you're right - just the right size for two people ( two slices each)and peaches ARE fruit of the gods:)