All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

sick day soup








I promise, I did eat my hoppin' john on New Year's Day, but I took it along with the antibiotics for a wicked sinus infection, so maybe it didn't count. The headache and half-my-face swelling is much better, but along with the antibiotics comes the total lack of appetite. Thus, toast, gingerale, and that warm green smoothie, now made into a 3 times a day soup that settles nicely.


Today I made it with beet greens, kale, parsley, and spinach, and it was just grand!


To make about 3 cups:


1 peeled onion, chopped

1 T. olive oil

2-3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock ( the vegetables should be just barely covered)

1/4 t. thyme

pinch of fresh nutmeg

a few drops of hot sauce

a pinch of ginger

a small sprig of de-stemmed rosemary
2 1/2 cups packed greens ( I used kale, parsley, spinach, and beet greens), chopped

salt and pepper as needed


~

Gently saute the onion in the olive oil in a medium saucepan for 5 minutes.

Add the broth, herbs, spices, and greens and cook until the greens wilt down and are softly cooked.


Remove from heat and let sit about fifteen minutes, then puree with an immersion blender or a regular blender. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve in cups or glasses with golden, buttery toast.


4 comments:

Barb said...

Whaaaaaa! Katrina!!!! I am so sorry you aren't feeling well. What a bummer!! It's just not the fun way to start this new year :(. I'm saying an extra prayer for your speedy recovery.

(here's something fun -- my word verification is 'obarby'. Funny huh?)

Feel better, friend.

katrina said...

obarby, me friend:) On the mend, one and a half more days of these antibiotics and I'll be raring to go ( I hope, I hope). Not to worry, all is fine, just get knocked for a loop by strong meds. Thanks for your very kind caring!

Marianne said...

Your sick day soup sounds like the perfect get-well cure. Hope you feel better very soon, Katrina.

katrina said...

Thanks, Marianne! Last day of medication, so tomorrow I should be starting to feel a little perkier.