All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Welcome Noah! ( and a blissful stuffed veggie salad sandwich)











Oh, what a week!  On the 13th, we welcomed Noah to this world, born at 1:10 in the morning.   I woke up at 3 am and nibbled my fingers, not knowing what was going on, and made muffins, unable to sleep.  A few hours later, we got the news, and gathered at the hospital to greet a tired Mom and a squeaky little boy.  Izzie bounced into the room, arms out, to hold her little brother, glowing with excitement, while I, as Grandma, was relieved .  Who remembered how wee those newborns are?  Not me.

Back and forth to the hospital, until they were released on Monday.  Monday, Patriots Day in Boston,  IRS day,  and the Marathon, and then the shock and sorrow of the bombings.  Visits to a settling in baby, sleepy parents, and several glasses of green smoothies while I tried to remember what families with little ones like to eat.  I've forgotten all that, to my surprise.  But I managed to make my favorite stuffed pitas with crunchy cabbage and spinach,  thinly sliced scallions and parsley, and tiny, wee grape tomatoes, a kale and lentil soup with cumin , and I've forgotten what else.  Honestly.  Clearly I have to get up to speed here.  But not just yet, not while the flag is at half staff, not when I think about that little 8 year old that died on a beautiful day in Boston.  

Veggie Salad Sandwiches:

You can use a very sharp knife or a Kitchenaid shredder cone to slice the cabbage.  

2 cups shredded fresh green cabbage
1 1/2 cups finely sliced de-stemmed spinach
1 container very small grape tomatoes, whole or halved
5 scallions (green onions) trimmed and sliced by hand
1/2 cup minced Italian parsley

Toss together in a large bowl.

Dressing:

4 T. mild olive oil
4 T. red wine vinegar or herb vinegar
1 t. dried oregano
cracked pepper and kosher salt to taste.

Optional:  1 cup cottage cheese, mixed in well

Eat as is, or stuff into pita halves.






A year ago:  carrotcake cupcakes - and a surprise!  Eeek!

9 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

God bless little Noah:-)
Now we both have a Noah..we are so lucky.
When I saw that little boy..heard about his mom and sister.....too sad..the other 2 victims.
I think ...it is all unthinkable.
I am so very happy for you though..one can still..
Congratulations on your darling new addition Katrina..our new memories.

diary of a tomato said...

Mazel ton — we can all use some good news this week!

Anonymous said...

[that was supposed to be Maze tov, but got spell-checked...]

katrina said...

Thank you , Nana! Yes, we are lucky - though my heart grieves for so many injured, and the other victims. I've just seen news that the suspect has been captured. Such a sad time, with so many questions.

katrina said...

Thanks, Debra and Anon! What a week:)

Farmgirl Susan said...

Congratulations to you all! xoxo

P.S. I love that salad. :)

katrina said...

Thanks, Susan! He's a sweet little baby - remember when Izzie was new? Eons ago, I tell you - eons!

Barb said...

On Katrina - i am so happy for you and your family! My most sincere Congratulations to all of you! What is more wonderful, special, exciting and happy than a precious baby. Blessings to all of you!

katrina said...

Thank you, Barb! He is a gorgeous little baby, isn't he? Most of the times I've seen him he's been sleeping so I can stare all I want:)