All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

zucchini focaccia with fresh oregano leaves and cheddar






I have always been mystified by stories of runaway zucchini harvests.  Wouldn't you know it - I,  who love zucchini in all ways , have almost never had success with them.  Happily, this year my daughter has an amazing garden, and has been sharing her extras with me.  Including not only baby zukes, but a large (14 inches) but firm jumbo one.  I'm usually content to simmer thickly sliced zucchini with oregano until just tender, but this day I had a hankering for focaccia.  I made enough dough for three 8 inch rounds,  drizzled with olive oil, topped with sliced onions and matchsticks of zucchini, then topped it off with fresh oregano leaves and parmesan and sharp cheddar.  Something magical happened in the oven, because those were the best little focaccia I've ever made.

For the dough:

1 cup King Arthur whole wheat flour
1 cup King Arthur all purpose flour
1 T. fresh rosemary leaves, pulled off stems
1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil 

Whisk yeast into warm water, then whisk in oil.

Mix the flour, rosemary leaves, and salt in a large bowl.

Make a well in the flour, pour in the water/oil/yeast mixture, and stir in a circle until dough comes together.  With the whole wheat flour, it may look a little dry, but it is silky after rising. Drizzle with a little more olive oil.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and put in a warm, draft free place, until it doubles in bulk - about an hour.


Make the topping - enough for 3 eight inch focaccia

handful of fresh oregano leaves
1 medium onion, peeled , cut in half lengthwise, then sliced thickly
olive oil
6 cups zucchini, sliced into medium matchsticks
3 cups coarsely grated sharp cheddar and parmesan cheeses
kosher salt and a sprinkle of dried basil and oregano just before baking
Set aside.

When dough has risen, punch it down and divide into three pieces.
Shape each piece into an eight inch disc.
Drizzle a large baking sheet with olive oil and place the rounds on the sheet, not too close.
Let sit in barely warm oven THAT HAS BEEN TURNED OFF until doubled - about half an hour.

Remove dough and set oven to 360F.

Dimple the focaccia with your fingertips and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Toss the onion slices, and sprinkle over the focaccias.
Add the zucchini, about 2 cups per focaccia, then the cheeses, and the oregano sprigs.
Sprinkle with the salt, basil, and oregano.

Bake for 20 minutes or so, or until dough is slightly golden but soft.
Remove to cool, then slice.








7 comments:

kellypea said...

I'm quite envious of everyone's zucchini treasure trove and know I'd love this if I had some. You've disappeared on FB...I noticed. Hope everything is fine.

La Table De Nana said...

I have never tried zucchini on Focaccia..
Yet I love both..never a juste milieu for me..I LOVE..
Why is it hard to say I like.:)
Thank you for this recipe Katrina..

katrina said...

Kelly - can you grow zucchini in your area? , tho I know you don't have gardening space beyond the pots. Yes, I'm gone from FB , was trying to think how to message you but oops! That was on FB:) I think I may have your email but not positive. There's always Twitter:) Love to you -

katrina said...

Oh, Nana - you must try zucchini on pizza or focaccia! It does something very magical when cooked this way. Happy you liked the recipe - I can't say LOVE because you haven't made it yet. I'm big on LOVE and exclamation points, myself!

diary of a tomato said...

6 cups of zucchini — sounds like a keeper!

katrina said...

Diary - I know it sounds like a lot, but the matchsticks shrink quite a bit during cooking, so next time I make them I'll definitely load them up. Boy oh boy, they were good!

katrina said...

Hi Miz Kellypea - as you noticed, am back on FB! It seems to be my #1 communication network, since no one uses gmail anymore. Happy that got resolved.