All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, June 30, 2014

roasted grape tomatoes with rigatoni, basil, and parmesan






There's something about watching my baby tomato plants grow, oh, so ever sloooowly that makes me impatient.  All six varieties I bought are just barely blooming today.  So, of course, a quick visit to the market was necessary if I wanted to make this simple roasted tomato and pasta supper.  As I rummaged through my jars of pasta shapes, I chose my very favorite, rigatoni, though there are lots of others that may jiggle your pasta passion.  Check out THIS page to find your favorite!

I roasted the tomatoes, first tossing them in a bowl with olive oil, garlic cloves, olive oil, and basil leaves from my garden.  I added a touch of butter ( I do love butter!), and salt, a pinch of sugar, and roasted for 40 minutes or so.  As they cooled, I boiled up the pasta, then quickly drained and tossed.  A shaving of parmesan, a sprinkle of more basil and all was good, and delicious.

You will need:

1 pint little grape tomatoes
1 or 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced very thin
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3-4 little basil leaves, minced
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
parmesan cheese grated on top after cooking

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Toss the whole grape tomatoes in the oil, salt, and basil
Add the butter and sugar and toss again.

Roast the grape tomatoes for 40 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and tender, stirring them once or twice and adding more oil if they are too dry.

Smush a few of the tomatoes with a spoon, and roast another 10 minutes.  Remove from oven.

Bring a pot of water to a boil and add 2 cups dry rigatoni.  Let simmer/boil for 8 minutes, then drain.

Toss the tomatoes and pasta with the juices from roasting, then serve with a shaving of parmesan on top, and a grinding or two of fresh pepper.

Happy almost July!






5 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I love meals like this..simple abundance..
I didn't plant tomatoes this year..last yr..the squirrels feasted before we did..I do miss watching them grow..
Wow do I ever sound exciting:)

katrina said...

Oh, no, Nana! I have squirrels and chipmunks being pests at the bird feeder - I sure hope they don't find the tomatoes. Consider your tomato-watching as a meditation of sorts, right?

Barb said...

This looks so delicious - the perfect summer meal!

Thanks, too, for the link to all the pasta shapes - my brother and I just had a short discussion on the many different shapes of pasta and which shape should go with what sauce. I'll have to forward the link to him.

katrina said...

Thanks for your kind words, Barb! and delighted you enjoyed the pasta link. I love the Italian names!

Two of my tomato plants have little green tomatoes - maybe I'll be able to make this again using my very own tomatoes - pretty exciting:)

Ava B said...

Heello mate great blog post