All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

buttermilk lemon cake

How can it be the last day of August already?  The last few months flew by, with me hobbling around with what I was told was gout, but tests confirmed it was not.  Still limping, but slowly able to walk further - to the store to buy ingredients for my daughter's favorite birthday cake!







Buttermilk Lemon cake is a combination of two recipes -  a sticky, lemony cake with a lemon glaze, and a creamy cream cheese and lemon frosting I usually top my carrot cakes with, and it is delicious!  I forgot to take a picture of the big cakes, but there was a tiny "extra" cake with the last of the batter.  I did a hasty piping and dollops of frosting, not so pretty, but it would have to do as an after picture.


Buttermilk Lemon cake

You can use a sheet pan, or several round pans.  Grease the pans and set aside.
Preheat oven to 325F.

3 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
3 cups sugar
zest of 2 lemons

Beat in mixer until blended and creamy, then add:

5 eggs
4 1/2 cups King Arthur flour, all purpose
1 teaspoon baking soa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Scrape the batter into the greased pans and bake - it usually takes an hour and ten minutes for mine.  The cake will be slightly brown on top and firm to the touch when you press the center gently.  Remove to wire racks to cool.  While cooling, make the lemon glaze:

1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar

Place lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, stirring the whole time, then take off heat to cool. 
If using a rectangular pan for the cake, cut the cake into equal rectangles or squares and let cool on a rack.  If using round pans, cool, run a knife around the edge, and very carefully unmold cake onto a wire rack.  Brush the lemon glaze on the cakes .

The Cream Cheese frosting:

In mixer bowl, place:

1 large package cream cheese
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
juice of one lemon (about2-3 tablespoons)

Cream the ingredients, then slowly add:

1 box confectioner's sugar (or 3 1/2 cups loose confectioners sugar)

Pipe or spread on cooled cake, or cake pieces.












7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I will PIN this one..

so what was it? Tendonitis?

So amazing some conditions are not recognizable .
Unfortunate actually.

I heard on the radio driving out today that Pinterest is one of the only FEEL good social medias.
It's like scarpbook..and does not depend on likes or comments etc..
I agree:)

It is turning into the urnt orange season..soon.

Hope you are faring MUCH better.

katrina said...

I still don't know what it is/was! The doctor's office just sent me a letter saying my blood tests were perfect and that was the last I heard. Walking still hard after oh, maybe five blocks, so it's frustrating - you'd think an orthopedist would a little more information! I so agree that Pinterest is the best, and I hope they never change. I can ignore (or not) the sponsored ads if I'm not interested, and type in any old thing I'm thinking about (doors, bedroom design, winter coats, soups, or cookies). I miss seeing the leaves change - I've learned my lesson, New England is the place I call home.

La Table De Nana said...

I love the change of seasons too!
Yes you would think he would know!

Susan Lindquist said...

What a pretty cake ... I always love these soft yellow cakes and think they make perfect wedding/party cakes. In other areas .... I hope you get a diagnosis on this pesky gimpy condition! Have you been tested for Lyme disease? That can sometimes manifest in joint and bone pain ... ugh! When it's unclear what the problem is, one's imagination can run rampant! Best of luck and keep at it until you get answers!

katrina said...

Good point, Susan! I've had Lyme and a tick co-infection called babesiosis that never quite left me. I bet you that's exactly what's happening! Thank you, Dr. Lindquist:)

Anonymous said...

Are you taking any statin prescriptions? Co-worker friend had the same symptoms you describe and physicians finally realized the cause as a side effect from taking cholesterol pills. Hope that helps :}

katrina said...

Anon, I am not. I only take a few vitamins and a homeopathic remedy for allergies - but thanks for the information!