All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Fried Green Tomatoes



First really chilly morning here - Autumn is definitely here.  My neighbor was inspecting her tomato plants, which have stayed stubbornly green.  She sighed and said she might as well pull them up later, since it was clear they were never going to turn red.  I suggested harvesting them and putting them on the windowsill, but she wasn't interested - "too small" she said.  I told her I'd take them, and she waved a hand and said to go ahead, as she walked off grumbling to attend to her flowers.

I picked a bowlful of those hard, pretty little tomatoes and set them on the table.  "Fried green tomatoes" started whispering in my head, but I refused to listen - for a while.  I never had much luck with fried green tomatoes, but my inner cook kept on and on, so I said "Okay, ONE more try".  I googled and came up with a new to me recipe from Southern Living.  The grumbling turned into curiosity, and wouldn't you know it?  This one was a keeper.  I added a few extra things:  basil, hot sauce, a little dipping mixture, olive oil for frying since I had no other oil, but kept pretty much to the recipe, as I usually do if it's the first time I've tried it.






Fried Green Tomatoes recipe

I made a very small batch - maybe 10 sliced small green tomatoes, but only fried half of them.


About 2 cups sliced green tomatoes

Set out three shallow bowls.

Drizzle a few tablespoons olive oil into frying pan.

First bowl:
1/4 cup flour

Second bowl:
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
a few shakes of hot sauce 
Beat together until well blended.

Third bowl:
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
pinch or two of dried basil

Dipping sauce:

1/2 cup Hellmann's mayonaise 
2 tablespoons hot pepper relish (I used Mezzetta gourmet deli, tamed)
Stir well until blended.

Heat the oil in the frying pan.
Dip each tomato slice first in the flour, then the egg mixture, then the cornmeal, coating both sides of each tomato slice.  Messy work, so you may have to wash your hands a few times.
Add to skillet until you can't fit anymore.  Keep a sharp eye out, turning them with a fork so they don't burn, until they are all nicely toasted .  Remove to a platter, make up the dipping sauce, and serve with a smile!








2 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I loved that movie and I know I would love dipping those fried tomatoes:)
It's our coldest morning yet 33 and brilliantly sunny..tomorrow colder..
It's so funny here..you need to dress so warmly in the morning and as the day grows old..most layers come off:)

katrina said...

Here it is next year and I'm dying to make these again ! Hoping my daughter has a few green tomatoes to share with me:)