All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

fresh banana muffins with oats & lemon zest

You know how New Englanders always say "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute"?  It's been like that here in Minnesota.  Rain, gloom, sun - and heavy snowflakes late afternoon yesterday.  This morning is windy and overcast and a perfect morning to make muffins and stay inside.






I settled on my old recipe for banana muffins with oats and buttermilk, cinnamon and  - wait!  Why do I have both white and brown sugar?  Forget that!  So I erased the 1/3 cup white sugar (keeping the 1/2 cup brown sugar) and really, there really wasn't a big difference.  Recipe corrected.  

These are moist (especially hot from the oven), and have lots of fiber from the oats, not too much sugar (now, anyway:), and canola oil instead of butter.  The muffins are slightly sweet, spongy and I'm sure they must be healthy - right?  I think you'll like them.



Fresh Banana muffins with oats and lemon zest

This makes 6 Texas size muffins.

Grease the muffin tins and set aside. (I used a Texas size muffin tin) 
Preheat oven to 350F.

In mixing bowl place:

2 medium ripe bananas, peeled, broken into small pieces
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 extra-large egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup buttermilk

Using your mixing paddle on your mixer, stir on low until the mixture is fairly blended.  It will be a little lumpy.

Add:

2 cups King Arthur flour (unbleached)
1/2 cup rolled oats -I use Quaker oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ( or more, if you wish)

Using an ice cream scoop, fill muffin cups to 3/4ths full.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until muffin tops are springy when gently touched.
Remove to a cooling rack , let cool, then dig in!



The first of the spring baskets on the railings!

3 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

So nice and puffed up!
I got pansies too:)

katrina said...

I know - I was surprised by the rise, too! I'm off to garden at my daughter's place - heaven is digging in the dirt!

dojuma said...

SO Beautiful.