All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, January 17, 2009

sweet potato sticks



I am reposting my recipe for sweet potato sticks for Will, of Dover, NH - who nibbled on these sticks this afternoon and wanted to know how to make them.
As I was browsing the South Beach diet cookbook, I realized these fit into the second Phase of South Beach - so indulge and enjoy!
I make these two ways - my original recipe, which called for cooking them in a toaster oven, ideal for a quick sweet potato fix for one or two servings. The second way, which I use more often lately, is to saute as many batches as you need in a skillet. I tried making large batches in a hot oven, but the result was disappointing. So I would stick with the toaster oven method, or the semi-quick saute.
Sweet Potato Sticks Method #1 - in the toaster oven:
You will need:
olive oil
sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large matchsticks
fresh dill, minced
salt, and pepper if desired
Peel the sweet potatoes, and cut into large matchsticks.
Drizzle olive oil ( I use virgin olive oil) on a toaster oven tray and add sweet potato sticks, rolling well in the olive oil so they're coated on all sides.
Set oven to 350F.
Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the sticks are softening.
Switch to the broil setting and broil until some of the sticks show browning.
Remove, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and minced fresh dill and serve.
Method #2:
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into large matchsticks.
Drizzle a hefty amount of olive oil - about 3 tablespoons, into skillet. Heat and then add sweet potatoes, turning in the olive oil on all sides until well coated.
Saute until the sticks caramelize, turning often.
Serve with fresh minced dill and salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Enjoy - and vow to keep eating healthy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat, I do these with sweets and russets and I love them! I like to do both for a colorful dish. Well, I'm just a potato freak --- loyal to none and in love with all. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mam - I do love my taters! And I love the idea of mixing potatoes ( except for the blue potatoes, which I find distinctly stomach churning). I tend to like my sweet potatoes shining by themselves - and the whipped, mashed whites ( I'll just take the serving bowl, thank you)...but they're all delish! btw, look forward to your experiments with the new pressure cooker! Thanks for popping by!

Anonymous said...

I'll be posting a "cooking under pressure" article sometime this week when life gives me time to ponder and write---oh and to remember to take photos. Hah!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I've been intrigued by the thought of pressure cookers ever since French friend came back from a visit home (Normandy)to report everyone was using them. Look forward to hearing what you discover........

Anonymous said...

I have something just like this at a hotel restaurant that is served with blue cheese dressing as a dip. I order it once a year for lunch when I'm there. I can't wait to try this at home.

Anonymous said...

Cena - someone else told me about that blue cheese dressing being served with sweet potato fries. It sounds a little odd, but since I like both, it could work. I'd never even heard of sweet potato fries when I came up with this recipe! Living out in the boonies ( i.e. rural zone), I don't get out much...:) Hope you enjoy them!