All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, August 22, 2010

veggie salad with that burger, please



You see that island in the top photo? I've lived one town over from the town this is in, and never had any idea what it was used for. Fishermen, sure, but not so much for the night in a sleeping bag. I finally asked at the local store, and discovered it was used, quietly, for overnights by the younger crowd. I see them parking trucks along the highway, and lugging rowboats and canoes - and coolers.
I'm sure it's a beautiful place to get away to, and no doubt the grills and burgers come out at dark, as well as refreshments. Which gets me waxing poetic about Veggie Salad. I've mostly been eating it for years packed in a container for a brown bag lunch. But lately I've been doing the most delicious burger and veggie salad, or sauteed chicken with veggie salad ( said chicken is marinating as I write), with a nice crunchy slice of red onion. Oh my stars, is it good! Fish fry? Sure! I've changed the recipe a little in the last year, adding in even more veggies: spinach, cabbage, parsley, scallions, tomatoes, and celery. Six veggies! Hope you enjoy!
To make:
Using a shredding cone on the KitchenAid or slice thinly by hand:
3 cups fresh green cabbage
2 cups fresh spinach, destemmed
1 1/2 cups celery, washed and trimmed
Add:
1 or two large tomatoes, chopped
5 or 6 scallions, sliced thinly
5 tablespoons finely minced parsley
~
Mix the vegetables in a large bowl . In a medium bowl mix:
5 T. olive oil
3 T. red wine vinegar ( or lemon juice)
1 t. dried oregano
kosher salt to taste
freshly cracked pepper to taste
Whisk well, and pour over salad, mixing in gently.
Store in fridge.

~
What I'm reading:
A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Katrina! Been a busy last couple of weeks for me - I walked the Breast Cancer 3-Day, 60 mile walk and then went 'up north' (as we say in Michigan) for a few days. Not much time on the internet in a while.

That Veggie Salad looks delicious - you just hold that burger, I'll be happy with the salad. Yum!

Is it cooling off in your part of the world?

katrina said...

Woot, woot! Congratulations, Barb!
60 miles is nothing to sneeze at! Yup, it's rainy, chilly, and wonderful weather for a duck - an me:) Love it.