All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, October 10, 2010

dan's "seafood " salad









Surprise! What is a dead ringer for seafood or crabmeat salad is actually a combination of lion's mane ( or bear claw), chicken of the woods, and oyster mushrooms, fresh from the woods of New Hampshire ( third picture from the top). Dan the mushroom man also offered me a "chicken tender" made from a slice of chicken of the woods that was sauteed in grapeseed oil - I swore it really was chicken. I'll have to track him down next Saturday to find out how he made the salad. You just never know what ( or who) you're going to meet at the Farmer's Market!

6 comments:

Barb said...

I confess that when I saw the pictures I didn't have a clue what they were. Obviously, I am completely ignorant about mushrooms. If they aren't from the market, I'd figure they are poisonous. The mushrooms in your photos are quite amazing!

katrina said...

Wise woman, Barb - I feel the same way. Unless I'm with an experienced guide, I'll stick to taking photos of mushrooms. Amazing, isn't it that all these crazy looking mushrooms are mild and very edible?

Barb said...

Hi Katrina - Some friends own a bakery and they found a HUGE mushroom in their garden, which they took to the farmer's market and all the farmers there told them it was edible! So...they said they were going to put it through the bread slicer and then cook it up like a portabello. Personally, I'd want one of the farmers to try it first :)

katrina said...

Smart, Barb! I think I'd do the same, unless those farmers were mushroom experts! Though, it wouldn't hurt to have a mushroom guide handy, just so you could start to become familiar with the really poisonous mushrooms.

Christine said...

My Hollywood, CA farmer's market mushroom guy had these crazy looking lobster mushrooms last week. Would go perfectly in your seafood salad. ;-)

katrina said...

Amazing, Christine.

The variety of shapes and colors in wild mushrooms is just astounding, isn't it? I'll have to look up "lobster" mushroom -