All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, December 5, 2010

lemon candy cane cookies





I can't take total credit for these delicious and tangy cookies, since they're based on a recipe from The Modern Baker - but I did change a few things, and my cookie baked up differently than Nick's did - fat and substantial, just the way I love my cookies! I made some very tiny ones and several hand-sized ones, both sprinkled with crushed candy cane and a zesty batter with fresh lemon peel. I think they'll be beautiful wrapped in cello and tied with a gold ribbon with some wee little candy canes. And there you see my paperwhites, which seem to be growing faster than ever before: I just hope they won't be done flowering by Christmas.
This recipe made 10 tiny cookies and 8 monster cookies, using differently sized ice cream scoops.
To make:
About 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
2 cookie sheets, lined with foil or parchment
Preheat oven to 325F.
~
1 1/4 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
4 t. baking powder
hefty pinch of kosher salt
1 stick ( 8 T) softened unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla
a few drops of lemon extract
2 t. fresh lemon zest

~
Stir together the flour, salt, cornstarch and baking powder and set aside.
Place the butter and confectioners' sugar in mixer bowl and beat on low until mixed well, then increase the speed to medium and beat another few minutes.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Beat in the extracts and lemon zest, then decrease speed to low and add the flour mixture.
Mix very well.
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter onto the cookie sheets and gently flatten a little bit on top, then sprinkle with the crushed candy canes.
Bake about 20 minutes for the large ones, a few minutes less for the tiny ones.
Let cool completely before packaging.
Enjoy the season!
*
*
*
*
More Christmas cookies!
~
Christmas biscotti
Italian Anise cookies

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katrina, My search for unique cookies to give as gifts has been resolved! Thank you so much. I really wanted to make at least one cookie this year that was new and fresh and this is the first thing that fit the bill!

nancy@skinnykitchen.com said...

What a different twist on a lemon cookie. They look really cute too!

katrina said...

Donna, I'm thrilled you liked these! I just finished eating a tiny one, and the fresh lemon zing is tickling my tastebuds - delish. And oh how I loved your story about your Grandma B - she sounds like quite a character!

katrina said...

Hey nancy - I had first thought of doing a little of that sinful cream cheese frosting on the cookies, but that's a hard to wrap cookie - I loved the festiveness of the candy canes, and they're much easier to package. Thanks !

LifestyleBohemia said...

These look so fun and different from the usual holiday cookies we always see, Definitely book marking this recipe. Thanks for sharing - love your blog!
xx

katrina said...

Happy you enjoyed, Bohemia! And I loved your photos of your Brooklyn life - it seems to be a fascinating neighborhood to live in these days...Thanks so much!

Chef Fresco said...

Aww, these are too cute! Happy holidays!

katrina said...

Thanks, Chefs! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas/holiday season, too! Delighted you liked these little cuties:)