All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, September 26, 2011

spinach and mushroom soup and a mushroom walk








Yesterday I took a long walk in the woods , on the hunt for mushrooms, not for eating, but the wonder of those astounding fungi. I still buy those plump white mushrooms at the store, saute them a bit in butter or olive oil, and eat on toast: heavenly. The sea sponge-like mushroom above is known as a "coral" mushroom, and I'm told they're not good eating 'shrooms, but I find Mother Nature amazing - who would have thought this was a mushroom?




When I came home, I made up a spinach and mushroom soup that was light, but filling, along with an open face sandwich with sauteed mushrooms. What a perfect September lunch!




Spinach and mushroom soup


~

1/2 cup diced potato


about 2 1/2 cups water , or half stock, half water


1 small onion, sliced


1 clove garlic, sliced


hefty pinch of thyme


a pinch of nutmeg


a pinch of hot pepper flakes


1 t. butter or olive oil


4 medium white mushrooms, quartered


4 cups loosely packed spinach, destemmed if needed


kosher salt to taste


~


Place potatoes, garlic, and onion in the water/stock and simmer until the potato is soft.


Add the nutmeg, thyme, hot pepper flakes, butter or oil, and mushrooms. Cook briefly.


Add more water if needed, then add the spinach. With the back of a spoon, pack down the spinach as it cooks down. After the spinach has wilted and cooked, turn off the heat and cover. Wait ten minutes, then uncover and stir.


Puree with an immersion blender or regular blender and taste for seasonings.


~




What I'm reading:


Cold Mountain ( also watching the movie again)




Hope you're enjoying September!














2 comments:

Jeff said...

That soup looks great! I love the deep, rich green color and can imagine how well it would mesh with the earthyness of the potato and the mushroom.

Beautiful pictures, too. Mother Nature is indeed full of wonder.

katrina said...

Merci a bunch, Jeff! (and good to hear from you) - I've been making straight spinach soup, but it wasn't jingling my taste buds lately, so I added the mushrooms and a little more nutmeg, which brought a less intense spinach-y flavor; not that that's bad. Oh, how I love your stock, by the way - you made a wonderful recipe!