All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, January 9, 2012

ground turkey with apricots and sage



After several weeks on antibiotics for a sinus condition, my diet consisted mostly of toast and tea, juice and yogurt. Within a day of stopping the medication, my appetite came roaring back, and this was what I made. A juicy turkeyloaf studded with soft apricots, and lots of fresh sage and thyme.

I usually throw in a few tablespoons of bread crumbs when I make a meatloaf, but I'm trying to make a few gluten-free recipes with my 5 year old granddaughter in mind, so I chopped up fresh mushrooms instead. This is definitely going in my favorites file.

I I used 93% lean turkey, and split the mixture between two 3.5x5.5 inch ceramic loaf pans. As you can see, the mixture shrunk about an inch after cooking. There are quite a bit of juices when you first take them out of the oven, but they are reabsorbed as they cool.

Ground turkey with apricots and sage:

To make:

About 10 apricots, snipped with scissors into quarters
1 pound ground, 93% lean, no antibiotics, turkey
1 T. slivered fresh sage
1/2 t. thyme
salt and pepper to your taste
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1 small egg
6 medium white mushrooms, medium chop
1/2 cup medium chop parsley

Preheat oven to 350F

Oil two small ceramic loaf pans with olive oil.

Combine the ingredients in a large bowl, and mix until completely incorporated.

Divide the mixture and pat into pans, smoothing the tops.

Bake for about 35 minutes and remove to cool. (The cooking time may change depending on the loaf pan or pans you use).

Great for leftovers, and freezes well!

You might also like the fresh chicken meatloaf I made a while ago. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Barb said...

In a million years, I would never think of this combination of ingredients. So did it turn out like you expected?
Delicious? Did your granddaughter try it and like it?

what's your verdict?

And I'm happy to read that you are feeling better.

katrina said...

Hi, Barb! I have a feeling the apricot idea came from something I used to cook a long time ago - and fruits are often cooked with meats and poultry. Cranberries, oranges, apples, pineapples - and apricots. It was wonderful, but I didn't put enough apricots in the first time, so I doubled it in the blog recipe. Just a tinge of sweetness - yum!
Haven't seen Izzie lately, but at least I have a recipe I can make up quickly when we do get together. Hope your winter is going well!

Eleanor said...

Beautiful recipe, and thanks for making it gluten-free. As for being likely to think of the same combination -- well, that's why I love reading about other people's kitchen creativity. Thanks!
Eleanor

katrina said...

Great to meet you, Eleanor! I saw that you are recovering from Lyme as well - it's a long road, isn't it?
I'm slowly gathering recipes that are gluten-free, mostly for my five year old granddaughter's visits . When I first discovered her need for a special diet, I was unglued, and so unsure about what was allowed - now I just see it as a very healthy diet ( along with some gummi bears for treats). Thanks for YOUR blog!