All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

fresh cranberry rounds for breakfast




Last night I made those tangy, delicious fresh (or fresh but frozen) cranberry muffins everyone loves so much, but especially ME. I mix the whole frozen cranberries into a fresh orange juice batter and bake them up in my cherished Texas-size muffin tins -8 muffins means some for me, some to share. Lately, though, I've been trying to tame the hungry monster by slicing the muffins horizontally, into three or four rounds, and only eating half. They toast up beautifully, and slicing them this way means I eat just a little less.

Beautiful day here, warm enough for just a light fleece jacket, and if you look up, there's a sunny blue sky!

Makes 8 Texas size muffins or 24 rounds ( tea party!).

Preheat oven to 350F.
Grease two Texas size muffin tins with vegetable shortening. Set aside.

3 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 t. baking powder
5 T. canola oil
the zest from a large orange - about 2 1/2 t.
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 cup fresh orange juice
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
2 extra large eggs

In mixer bowl, place the flour, sugar, baking powder. Mix briefly.

Add the canola oil, the orange zest, the nutmeg, eggs, and fresh orange juice and mix well, then add the fresh or frozen cranberries and mix until well blended.

Using a regular size ice cream scoop, place two scoops of batter into each muffin opening . It should be about 3/4ths full of batter.

Bake for about 40 minutes, if using frozen berries - less if the berries are fresh.
Let cool in tins for ten minutes, then using a dull knife, loosen the sides of the muffin and remove to a cooling rack.
When completely cooled, slice horizontally into three or four rounds. These don't really need any butter, but you can gently toast and slather it on if you'd like. These freeze very well.

Happy February!


4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I have that big muffin tin:)Must try!

katrina said...

Oh, my friends just LOVE those big fat muffins, Nana! And it just occurred to me that if you slice off the top of the fat muffin, you have a cute little cake. Add a candle and sing Happy Birthday to Tuesday!

Barb said...

I can't think of a muffin that I've ever met that I didn't like - this looks like a keeper, too. I love cranberries and I think your idea of cutting them into rounds is quite clever (but I think I would still wind up eating the whole thing!).

Happy Groundhog Day!!! (is that a gift-giving holiday?? ha!ha!)

katrina said...

Barb - I swear, it really does work to cut them this way! Maybe it's the more delicate presentation, but I stretched out one muffin over the whole day. I am, however, still sporting that little band of chubby around my middle, darn.
Only 12 days til Valentine's Day, so there's still hope for goodies in your future:)