All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Friday, January 30, 2015

baby spinach with blistered tomatoes





The wind is howling over this snowy landscape - it sounds like a freight train as the wind swoops and tickles the corners of the hill beside my house, and my neighbor's house.  I am missing the farmer's market in the summer , so full of life and good vegetables, good people - and warm sunshine.

Above all, I miss the summer tomatoes, bursting with color and flavor.  I look at the plastic box of tiny tomatoes and wonder what to do.

Then this - gently seared with a hint of basil, mild olive oil and a little sweet butter, tossed with a package of baby spinach.  It isn't July or August, but it's a hint of what's to come.

To make:

1 cup baby grape tomatoes
1 tablespoon mild olive oil
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup water (or more, if needed)
4 cups packed baby spinach, washed (no need to dry)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground pepper

Warm the olive oil and butter on medium heat.
Add the tomatoes and sear for 5 minutes.

Add the water, spinach, basil, salt, and pepper and cook uncovered on medium high heat until the liquid evaporates.

Serve with a smile and memories of summer.

4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

The side view is so cozy Katrina:)

I would love that dish..do you think garlic would be good w/ it?

katrina said...

Good morning, Nana! Garlic might be good, yes, I think - but I can't eat garlic at all anymore , sorry to say. I would say go for it!

Barb said...

You make me wish for the farmer's markers of summer - especially after 28 hours of snow!! Snow totals so far - 16.7 inches! The shoveling seems endless.

Can't get out of the driveway or down the street at this point. What a way to celebrate Ground Hog Day!

katrina said...

Barb - it reached us in the middle of the night! Snow coming down very fast - just when I'm sick of shoveling!
I should put up a picture of the Farmer's Market in the summer to get us through this! Be safe and warm....