All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

wilted kale with garlic and kidney beans

How can it be October 27th already?  Autumn in Minneapolis is mild - most days I wear a vest as I walk around the neighborhoods, and the trees are very slowly turning color.  There have been a few chilly mornings, but no frost or bitter winds - quite a change from New Hampshire, when I would be rushing out to cover my herbs and flowers with a sheet on cold nights. 

And leaves might be falling, but in Minneapolis people keep their green lawns leaf free and tidy, while giant trucks vacuum up the side streets.  Pumpkins by the front doors, and still- blooming flowers make for a very pretty walk to the stores.









Since I'm home, I've been making more meals for the family:  hasty lunch box meals for the three grandchildren (2, 5, and 9) and healthy supper menus.  Izzie follows a mostly gluten-free diet, Frankie is picky, and Noah, the baby, tastes everything.  He's the one that chooses stinky French cheeses at the Co-op:)   When I made this kale last night, he ate some, then promptly finished off the rest on the platter.  I love it because it cooks so quickly but still retains its kale flavor, unlike spinach.  I added a handful or two of cooked kidney beans, because they pair so well together in my Portuguese kale soup.  


wilted kale with garlic and kidney beans


4 cups kale, torn from stems
1/2 cup water (more if needed)
1 peeled garlic clove
3/4 cup canned kidney beans, drained
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes or hot sauce

Place the water in the pot, then add the rest of the ingredients.  Cover and cook on high heat just until wilted, stirring constantly.

Drain if needed, sprinkle with kosher salt,  and serve at once.



7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Your new life sounds rich and busy and I love the red beans in this!
Children and food:) LOL ..all so different..
This has been a dictionary definition of a perfect fall.Here..I have been driving or walking thinking..surely this is paradise.

katrina said...

Nana - delighted you liked! I'm sure your crew have their quirky moments:) So glad your Fall has also been sweet, comfortable and lengthly, such a wonderful gift, a long autumn - it makes winter feel a little shorter.

debra said...

Greens and beans, a favorite combination — like the 3 little bears, thoroughly enjoyed the idea of baby bear eating it all up!

katrina said...

Debra - Noah is quite the hearty eater! Even though he's the youngest, he and his big brother wear the same size clothes. Also love that all three are used to quinoa and kale, tofu and kombucha, very different from when I was cooking for my children:) Waving to you in New England!

Debra said...

Needed to detox and thought of your wilted kale recipe — served it over a bowl of steamed brown rice, perfect!

katrina said...

Oh, goody, Debra ! Though I prefer hot green soups with tabasco sauce, kale and rice is simple and filling, isn't it? (and I'm sure will help to keep away all the colds and bugs starting to go around) -

Ozarathustra said...

Good reading thhis post