All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, October 31, 2016

mad for rosemary-cumin hummus

The days have been dark and damp lately - a little colder, but not enough to cause a freeze, unlike New Hampshire.  It's harder to force myself out the door to walk on dreary days.  Which, of course, led to tighter and tighter pants.  I blamed the clothes dryer at first, until I faced the sad fact I was putting on a few pounds.  Probably all those cookies I keep making for my grandchildren:)




this is how I eat it:)


I've upped my excercise, swore off potato chips or Tostito's crispy rounds, but could never give up hummus, ever.  

I'd tried a few recipes, one of which was heavy on the tahini - nice, but it could taste a little strong sometimes.  Then I made Lovely Little Kitchen's recipe, which was easy and delicious, but I wanted a little more zip - herbs, hot sauce?  I tinkered and measured everything carefully, and to my surprise my measurements were almost the same as the one from Lovely Little Kitchen - just more lemon juice, lots of cumin, and some hot sauce.   Since I eat it straight from a small bowl, I wanted it to be fairly light, and that's what I got.  

The recipe:

Combine in your food processor:

1 can (15 or 16 oz) cooked garbanzo beans, aka chickpeas, drained (reserve 2 T. of juice)
2 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons of the canned chickpea liquid
3 teaspoons ground cumin
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons rosemary leaves, chopped (do not include stems)
1 medium clove of garlic, peeled and sliced
4 drops of hot sauce - I use Frank's hot sauce, which is fairly mild


Mix in food processor until smooth.  Taste and serve with chips, or raw vegetables, or straight, as is while waiting for trick or treaters tonight!  Happy Halloween!


What I've been reading:

Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery (my NH friend)
The Book of Joy with The Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu - wonderful book!

2 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Love the addition of rosemary❤️

katrina said...

Something about rosemary:) - I was so happy the two flavors of cumin and rosemary meshed so deliciously, Monique!