All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, April 26, 2008

eat your vegetables - fresh veggie salad!



When you're in the mood for something a little more substantial than green salad, this
is a good choice. Made with fresh, sweet ( and organic) cabbage and spinach, it's amazingly
versatile - and let's not forget the healthy part! I've used it in omelets, snuggled into a pita
and topped with cheddar, packed in a cold pack for a beach picnic, or even sprinkled on a
pizza.
To make:
Using a shredder cone on a KitchenAid mixer ( or just slice really, really thin) shred:
4 cups shredded fresh cabbage
2 cups shredded spinach
Mix in a large bowl. Add:
Roma tomatoes, chopped (optional)
1 bunch trimmed scallions, sliced thinly
1/2 cup minced parsley
(1/2 cup cottage cheese -optional but delicious!)
Top with:
3 T. olive oil
3 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. oregano
Toss carefully until all ingredients are incorporated. If you pack this into containers,
it should last for a week.

3 comments:

Faithy said...

Katrina, this salad looks and sounds delicious! I like the "keep for a week" part, since I often have leftovers.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, fresh and light, Katrina. I'm already imagining uses for it.

she's in the kitchen said...

Hey Faith and D! Thanks so much and delighted you liked it. I've been making this salad for years and years, and never get tired of it! Would love to hear of new uses - lately I've been thinking spring rolls and??????. Lobster?

I do know what you mean, Faith - things have a way of sliding to the back of the fridge for several days before I rediscover them. My favorite thing about this really remains the taste - who knew fresh cabbage could taste so sweet?