All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, March 27, 2010

chicken-vegetable soup with cornmeal dumplings





It was clean-out-the-fridge day this morning. I had leftover roasted chicken, and an abundance of fresh, fresh veggies, plenty of herbs, and a hankering for chicken soup. I started making a lowfat chicken-vegetable soup recipe, but detoured into trying out an idea I had for cornmeal dumplings. Go figure. Leave it to me to end up with MORE leftovers. However, both are wonderful and will be gone by tomorrow, I'm sure.
The chicken and dumplings reminded me of those chicken pot pie recipes- thick, almost like gravy. Since the dumplings absorb some of the soup liquids, I add a cup of water to the finished soup, after scooping out the dumplings, then whisk the soup gently. These dumplings held together very well, much better than the parsley dumplings I made last year. (actually, it was 2008!)
The basic chicken and vegetable soup recipe:
* about four servings
3 cups strong chicken broth
2 cups cut up leftover chicken ( I used mostly the breast)
1 1/2 cups baby carrots, cut in half diagonally
1 T. fresh chopped parsley
1 T. minced fresh dill
1/2 cup chopped celery
1-2 cups chopped kale
salt and pepper to taste
1 T. finely minced peeled ginger root
1 T. olive oil (or unsalted butter)
Place all the ingredients into a soup pot and bring to a simmer. Cook until the carrots are just tender, then taste before adding salt and pepper.
For the dumplings:
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup King Arthur flour
1 t. baking powder
salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk
2 T. diced cold unsalted butter
1 T. fresh dill, minced
Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and butter in mixer bowl until fully incorporated.
Add in the milk, salt and pepper, and dill and mix until it forms a ball. Using a small ice cream scoop, spoon up the dumplings (or roll into 1 inch balls by hand) and place on top of the simmering soup. Lower heat, cover tightly, and cook for 20 minutes. Uncover and remove dumplings to a plate. Add a cup of water to the soup and stir well.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with the dumplings. To keep the dumplings moist, I roll them once or twice in the soup before serving.
Enjoy!

9 comments:

Barb said...

Oooh, this does look yummy! especially on this rainy, dreary Sunday. Looks comforting and colorful - your photos are magical.

Hope you are doing well.

katrina said...

Thanks, Barb! Sorry your Sunday is rainy - we haven't had rain in...let's see, about 26 hours:) I am grateful. And thanks for the kind words about my photography, which I enjoy just as much as cooking.
My mother is still going downhill, slowly. It's so hard for her - for all of us I guess, but mostly for her. Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I just made a batch of chicken soup with matzo balls. Mine could easily morph into yours afterward with the leftovers I'll have available. I'll have to give those dumplings a try too!

katrina said...

Ohhh, chicken soup with matzo balls is something I've never made, though it sounds wonderful, Donna. One of these days I'm going to try making it, I swear. You're right - your lovely chicken soup could easily become chicken-veggie with tiny matzo ( or cornmeal) dumplings....

Kristen said...

Hi....felt like making chicken soup for dinner but was looking for something a bit different and found it on your blog. It turned out great! Thanks for the great recipe and keep them coming... Kristen

katrina said...

Oh, I'm delighted, Kristen! Thanks for the feedback!

Fred Opie said...

great recipe, I linked it to my story today on my blog: http://frederickdouglassopie.blogspot.com/2010/10/electoral-politics-and-food-gilded-age.html

Fred Opie

Rachel said...

Hi
Just wanted to say I have made your recipe for the dumplings numerous times - I don't usually have dill so add something else!

It's definitely that time of year!

katrina said...

Oh, thanks for your note, Rachel - and for the reminder that this is the perfect hearty soup for right now!