All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, November 9, 2008

chicken soup with pasta, carrots, and parsley dumplings





So, after I'd eaten the tarragon chicken, I still had lots left over. Instead of my usual chicken soup with rice, I decided to finally try a recipe from a very old NYTimes Cookbook for parsley dumplings, and a good strong chicken broth loaded with carrots, pasta ( a very cute pasta called Cellentani from Barilla which is curly) and herbs.
Take your leftover roasted chicken out of the fridge. Break up the chicken pieces and add the pieces to a stockpot. Add the bones, if you've saved them, from dinner. I added some leeks, parsley stems, unpeeled carrots,( cut up), onions. Add water to cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes, then drain the broth into a bowl, straining out the solids.
For the soup:
about 2 cups bite size pieces of chicken
2 onions, coarsely chopped
a bag of small, peeled baby carrots
1 T. fresh rosemary, chopped or not
1 t. or more dried thyme
chicken bouillion cubes or strong chicken stock if needed
salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring soup to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes. While it's cooking, make the parsley dumpling dough:
1 1/2 cups King Arthur flour
2 t. baking powder
salt and pepper
2 T. chopped parsley
1 T. fresh rosemary, chopped
3 T. cold unsalted butter, cut up
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk or chicken stock ( I used a little over 1/2 cup, the recipe called for 3/4 cup)
Place flour, baking powder, salt and pepper, and herbs in mixer bowl. Add the butter and mix until it resembles cornmeal. Start with adding 1/2 cup liquid to the flour mix - if it forms a good dough, you're fine. If it's too dry, add a little more liquid.
Form into a large ball. Pinch off pieces of dough about the size of a large marble, and roll into balls.
After your soup has simmered for 40 minutes, carefully place the parsley dumpling balls on top of the simmering soup in a layer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Remove cover and, using a slotted spoon, remove parsley dumplings to a microwave-safe dish.
Add a few handfuls of pasta ( I used a curly one) to the soup and continue to simmer until the pasta is just tender. Taste the soup for a final seasonings check and add salt, pepper, more parsley, rosemary, or thyme as you wish.
Place parsley dumplings in a microwave and zap for 3 minutes. This firms them up a little.
Ladle soup into large bowls, and, very gently, add the parsley dumplings.
Enjoy!

Top photo featured in TasteSpotting!

27 comments:

Kelci said...

YUM! This does look delicious! It's this time of year that I love making soups and stew, and braises (oh my!). This will definitely make the list soon!

Speaking of delicious chicken dishes, I've got a mean craving for a good chicken pot pie - what's your favorite recipe? I'd love to see if in an upcoming post! (If you haven't posted a pot pie already)

Anonymous said...

Hey Web Mistress extrordinaire! If you look on the links, you'll find my chicken pot pie ( looking starry)....

Braises. Now, I could use some good talk about those. Roasting and soup making are favorites - but I would love your ideas ( and recipes) on braising.

Martha said...

Looks delicious and a perfect meal for a fall day!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Martha! I feel a little silly admiring this pretty little soup, but I can't help it. And you're right - the fall weather just calls out for something that's herby, delicious, and hot. So, inbetween stacking wood and raking leaves, think about a nice stockpot of this to come home to....

Anonymous said...

Katrina

Your dumplings look perfect! I made a similar dish a few weeks ago, and my dumplings didn't really dumpling as perfectly as yours.

Sally

Anonymous said...

Sally - the last time I made dumplings, they fell apart in the broth - they're tricky, aren't they? Zapping them in the microwave did help firm them up, but I'm still on the lookout for the perfect dumpling.
Your blog is new to me - it didn't all show up on my screen, but look forward to reading it......

csr said...

Thanks for using our flour. Frank from KAF, baker/blogger

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina~ Yum! Yum! Yum! this looks soooooo good! I'm gonna give it a try sometime soon (and I've never made dumplings before, so this should be interesting!)

And look at you, another comment from King Arthur Flour (also my favorite - the only flour I use)

So how cool is it to know that the KAF people are keeping an eye on your blog? I think that is high praise indeed!

Sandy said...

Delicious! I'm making chicken soup tonight too!

Anonymous said...

Frank - Thank you! You've made my day! I've used King Arthur forever, and whenever I blogged on another site, I got questions from people all over ( especially the South) asking what it was. Now they know.

Anonymous said...

Barb - I'm really astonished! My goal sometime is to visit what I've always called "the mother ship" - the King Arthur store in Vermont. Nice to know I've got some friends there to visit!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy - it seems like that kind of weather - everyone's got colds or sinus infections. Looks like many of us know what to do on days like that - make chicken soup!

Olga said...

This looks like a great soup for this weather...similar to matzo ball soup

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Olga! You've reminded me to finally try making matzo balls. Can you believe I've never had matzo ball soup- in spite of 7 years in NYC?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations KAF and TasteSpotting! It's official now - you are famous!!

I'd love to go to "the mother ship" (as you call it) too! When the catalog arrives, I get pretty excited (somehow that sounds rather pathetic, huh?). Anyway, I share your KAF enthusiasm.

Congratulations, again. Very exciting!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Barb! I'm jealous! I signed up for the catalogue and never got it. Same thing with Sur La Table, and another cooking catalogue. But I share your passion, even if I don't have anything in hand. Actually, it's probably better that way - I don't spend money. Thanks for the swing by!

Anonymous said...

I am getting more and more fond of anchovies and love the flavor they add. This pasta looks and sounds delicious! Keeps me pushing to the dining.

Anonymous said...

I just made this fantastic soup- thank you so much! By far the best chicken soup I've ever had... I used King Arthur bread flour for the dumplings and they turned out perfect! Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - thank you for taking time to give me feedback! I'm just delighted you liked the recipe - AND the soup!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy I found your blog-via tastespotting- planning to make the chunky tomato soup next :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Anonymous! I'm delighted to have you visit! And that Tuscan Tomato soup is one of my three top favorites - I think you'll love it!

ps/ I LOVE TasteSpotting, too....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
katrina said...

Honestly - knock it off, spammer! SIX times you've been here and several times elsewhere. Putting out the word.