All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

kidstuff: lemon sponge


I was sifting through my stack of old recipes and came across this crazy recipe my mother used to make - a lemon pudding/souffle/cake. The batter separates as it bakes, leaving you with a soft cake and a tangy lemon pudding, all in one. It's one of those fascinating, and delicious, desserts that also doubles as entertainment - and kids ( and adults!) never get tired of it.
To make:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Butter a souffle or other ovenproof dish
a pan to hold the dish as well as a few inches of water ( also known as a water-bath)
3/4 cup sugar
2 T. soft unsalted butter
2 t. grated lemon zest
3 eggs, separated
3 T. King Arthur flour
1 cup milk ( I used 2%)
1/3 cup plus 2 T. fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt
Beat egg whites until stiff in mixer bowl. Scoop into a bowl and set aside.
Cream the sugar, soft butter, and lemon zest in mixer bowl. No need to wash it after mixing the egg whites.
Add the egg yolks, milk, and flour.
Beat in the lemon juice .
Fold in the egg whites and pinch of salt - some lumps are fine.
Scrape into the buttered dish and place in the pan ( I use a brownie pan) Add a few inches of hot water and place in preheated oven.
Bake for 45 minutes and remove to cooling rack. Let it cool for at least 20 minutes.
Using a large spoon, dish out portions and scoop up some of the pudding, as well as the souffle cake.
Have fun!

7 comments:

Martha said...

I love these although we didn't call them "sponge" -- and haven't made one in "forever". Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ah - so what did you call this, Martha? Could be "sponge" was a New England term, maybe? Whatever we call it, it's still wonderful, and still lots of fun to make! Thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

Martha - I'm changing my mind here. Sponge sounds very Southern to me - I bet my mother got the recipe from our French neighbor when we lived in the South.

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with a 'sponge', but it looks delicious and fun to make. I think I'd like to try it, too. Of course, I want to try just about everything you make - I better get started pretty soon.

First, I have to get ready for Thanksgiving. Got a good acorn squash recipe up your sleeve??

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb!

Oh what a long day! Too long to bake and take pictures ( it's too dark!), but I promise a delicious chocolate treat tomorrow or Saturday. As far as acorn squash goes, I love it just as it is, baked in a hot oven and drizzled with butter and maybe a little maple syrup. 400" oven for an hour or so, halves of acorn squash seeded and placed cut side down, with a little film of water on the bottom of the baking pan to keep it from scorching. Serve the halves or scoop out and mash with butter, salt and freshly cracked pepper, and a pinch of thyme. Drizzle syrup as wished. Soooo good!

Anonymous said...

Well thanks, Katrina. What could be easier and sounds delicious (even for those 'non-acorn squash lovers' such as myself)?

Now about that chocolate treat you're promising. . . I'll be waiting!

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

You don't like squash, Barb? It's SO good!

I'm watching the stove with one eye on the darkness descending - and the dessert isn't ready yet. We'll see who wins the race :)