All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

comfort food on an epic day : creamy rice pudding with a twist


Just when I thought I was done with tears of joy, I see a picture, or hear another speech by President-elect Obama, and the tears come rolling down my cheeks again. It is a glorious and wonderful day for America, and I'm so proud - proud to all those people who waited so patiently to vote, proud of the 18 year olds who voted for the first time, relieved there were no voting glitches, relieved it's over, because now we can get rolling again.
Who could eat given the sort of emotional rollercoaster we've been on? The only thing I wanted was comfort food - and this coconut milk rice pudding filled the bill.
To make:
4 T. unsalted butter
pinch of salt
1/2 cup coconut milk (NOT coconut cream)
2 cups milk ( I used 2%)
1/3 cup Uncle Ben's long-grain rice ( the normal Uncle Ben's)
1/2 cup sugar or less
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
2 t. microplaned lemon peel or grated zest
Slowly heat ingredients in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Simmer for about 1/2 hour, stirring often.
After a half an hour, increase heat a tiny bit, and stir constantly until rice pudding is creamy and thickened, which usually takes about 15 minutes.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so exciting! I find it funny that everyone is turning to comfort food (including myself) regardless of if they're celebrating the results or disspointed. Your pudding sounds delicious! We're having a comfort food recipe contest and would love to have you enter! The prize could buy you a whole lot more comfort food...

Martha said...

I love rice pudding but have never tried a coconut version although I do LOVE coconut! Will have to try this.

Martha

Anonymous said...

Thanks, emily - I'll read up on your contest. In the meantime, I think everyone is struggling, winter is coming, the holidays are here, and we're about to swear in a new president. Whew - that's a lot on our plates! So, bring out the cushiest, coziest, yummiest meal you can think of to celebrate just getting through the day.....

Anonymous said...

Thanks, emily - I'll read up on your contest. In the meantime, I think everyone is struggling, winter is coming, the holidays are here, and we're about to swear in a new president. Whew - that's a lot on our plates! So, bring out the cushiest, coziest, yummiest meal you can think of to celebrate just getting through the day.....

Anonymous said...

Hi martha!
The day I was fiddling around with a rice pudding recipe, I was also thinking, hummmmm, how about a different, more exotic taste? The coconut milk is a nice, subtle accent. I also tried baked rice pudding and stovetop - and the stovetop was much creamier. Let me know if you try it how you liked it!