All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

dark and chewy brownies








We are expecting another three days of snow, and most everyone I know is at the "enough already" point. During our recent 12 below zero weather, I did what any sensible person would do - putter around in a warm kitchen. First I made a batch of marmalade from my now enormous orange tree, then I made two batches of brownies - one with toasted walnuts, and one without nuts for my mother. Dark, chewy, solid - these are marvelous brownies to have around when cabin fever hits.
*
I used a recipe from Maida Heatter's American Desserts, and the only thing I changed was to add a little more vanilla and a few less walnuts. Tempted to add a pinch of chile powder, though!
To make one 8"x 8" pan of brownies
*
Preheat oven to 325F.
Turn your brownies pan over, and fit a piece of foil (shiny side down) over the pan, pressing to form the foil to the pan. Remove the molded foil gently, flip the pan over, and fit into the pan, smoothing well against the corners. Butter the foil and set aside the pan.
*
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate ( I used 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips)
1 stick ( 8 oz) unsalted butter
1/4 t. kosher salt
1 t. good vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup King Arthur all purpose flour
1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts ( the recipe called for 1 cup)
~
Place the chocolates and the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and melt, stirring well until completely melted. Remove from heat.
Scrape the melted chocolate and butter mixture into a mixer bowl, then add the salt, vanilla and sugar and mix. Add the eggs one at a time and mix, then add the flour and nuts. This makes the most delectable batter - you'll be tempted to skip the baking part!
Scrape the mixture into the pan, smooth the top, and bake for 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool completely, then cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer for an hour.
Remove the plastic, lift out the now-frozen brownies by the foil, and turn over onto a counter or board. Peel off the foil, trim off the edges, and using a ruler, cut the brownies to the size you wish.
Enjoy!



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love brownies like this! Those look scrumptious!

Rebekah Daphne said...

Oh. My. I think my eyes just popped out of my head... the dense chocolate divinity was too much for them :D I'm definitely bookmarking this!

katrina said...

Thank you, Donna! I was JUST trying to leave a comment on your blog, but can't remember my password for Wordpress - what do you mean by "degill" a Portobello?
Glad you enjoyed these brownies!

katrina said...

I'm guessing these are on your to-make list, Rebekah! I just finished nibbling a small one for my lunchtime dessert - just perfect, and a little goes a long way, which is better for our waistlines in January anyway. Happy you stopped by - thanks!

kellypea said...

I'm so used to commenting on your photos at flickr, I forget to come here. Must fix that! These brownies deserve double attention anyway :)

katrina said...

Hi Kelly - I know what you mean! Trying to remember to check in with my fave blogs on Mondays, at least! Glad you liked these wicked brownies ♥

Lisa said...

Wow, those look fudgy to the max. I love brownies that are chewy and dense. I have a new linky on my blog every Saturday called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

katrina said...

Hi Lisa - glad to meet you! I'd be happy to link up this weekend - IF I can figure out how to do it:)

The Food Hound said...

Brownies are divine. No way around it! And good for you to not make them "light"-- I'd have to disown you :)

katrina said...

Now, Food Hound - I'm not a bit afraid to make a recipe lighter and healthier, BUT, these tasted soooo good first time out, how could I change a thing ( except maybe the chile powder - next time:)?

Barb said...

Hi Katrina! I've been MIA for a few days and when I open up your site - Chocolate!!! Yummm! These brownies are obviously to die for and I'm going to have to give them a try - I am a sucker for chocolate!

The other goodies you posted look so good too! And your photography is just so pretty. I always love to see your beautiful photos.

Sorry about all the cold and snow. It's been very, very cold here but we don't have that much snow to contend with. Keep warm (I heard chocolate keeps you toasty warm :).)

katrina said...

Yikes, Barb - I thought I answered this yesterday - my apologies. I didn't even have the excuse I was once again shovelling:)
Glad you enjoyed these! I cut two brownies into tiny little squares, and nibble on them when I feel the urge for chocolate - perfect! Finally fit into my summer jeans♥

Farmgirl Susan said...

I don't know how I missed this the first time around - usually I have really good brownie radar. ;) I'm still looking for the perfect brownie recipe. Must give this one a try. It's tough work doing all that taste testing, but. . . xoxo

katrina said...

"brownie radar" - ha! Love it!. And though I'm not much of a chocolate lover, got to say this one is AMAZING. Enjoy your "testing":)

La Table De Nana said...

How did I miss these?:)

katrina said...

Not sure, Nana - I've posted this a few times due to my passion for them! They are amazing!