All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, July 1, 2012

arugula, basil and walnut pesto





Hooray, it's pesto time!  Yesterday I picked up the most beautiful arugula at the farmers market.  Before I ate every single delicious, peppery leaf, I remembered to replenish my pesto supply with this zesty pesto.  


I like the mix of more arugula than basil, and I like a thick texture, so it sticks to the pasta - my preferred being Barilla cellentani, pretty little corkscrews .  You can toss some of the pesto with the pasta, or serve it on top, and let your guests swirl it around.  Best of all, I use toasted walnuts, much less expensive than pine nuts, even if you can find them.  


Makes 1 cup of pesto:


1/2 cup walnut pieces
2 medium cloves of garlic, peeled
1 cup packed arugula
1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
1/2 cup olive oil, with a little more for drizzling
1 T, fresh lemon juice
freshly ground pepper


Toast the walnuts in a toaster oven and let cool.
Place the walnuts in a food processor and pulse until chopped well.
Add the garlic, parmesan, basil, arugula, olive oil and salt and pepper and pulse
until thick.  Add the lemon juice and pulse one more time.


Keep in the fridge, well covered, or freeze for winter - if you can wait!

6 comments:

kellypea said...

Hey! I just made a pasta salad with the wiggly noodles too :) Loving the pesto you have to go with yours. I did a vinaigrette on mine and made way too much of it : /

katrina said...

Cool, Kelly! So many artistic pastas out there, but these are my favorites. I rarely do vinaigrettes because inevitably I look down to see a string of stains right down my front. Sigh. So there is my practical reason for that thick, chunky sauce:)

Marianne said...

Mmmm, what a delicious pesto, Katrina! And lovely photos!

katrina said...

Thanks so much, Marianne! I forgot to say this pesto can be frozen. Every time I stick a jar in the freezer, I'm no sooner taking it right back out for soup or pasta, hamburgers, or fish:)

Barb said...

Pesto (inmy humble opinion) is food for the gods!!! I love it and your recipe sounds delicious. I've never made it with arugula, but I'm going to try it. And thank you for the ginger cookie reminder in your last post - I love those too.

Happy 4th of July to you! Any fun plans for you? Parade? Picnic? Fireworks?

katrina said...

I never knew you felt so passionately about pesto, Barb! One of the joys of summer, isn't it? - and somehow it never tastes the same made in winter.
Glad you liked those cookies! What are you up to on the holiday week?weekend? Our fireworks are tomorrow (the 3rd), which I'm sure will confuse me the rest of the week. Have a wonderful 4th!