All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, July 30, 2012

roasted rosemary potatoes






A lovely breezy day here, and the early mornings are finally cool again.  I've been working on some magazine articles for winter, and this morning seemed like a perfect time to shoot some pictures - with the added bonus of a late breakfast for me.  

I've made these for years, but lately, instead of just using russet potatoes, I'll use red potatoes, strips of leeks, slivers of onions, cherry tomatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage, garlic cloves, or carrots - all tossed in a warm olive oil/butter and rosemary sprigged bath before roasting.  While it goes deliciously with roasted chicken or pork, it suits a summer dinner just as well. Fresh crabmeat comes to mind, and lobster with lemon juice and more melted butter - add a green salad and watermelon slices for a feast.

I used about 3 or 4 cups of vegetables today, so adjust the basting sauce as you need to.

The baste:

2 T. unsalted butter
1/4 cup non-virgin olive oil
1-2 T. fresh rosemary leaves, stripped from stems
Three or four 4" sprigs of fresh rosemary

Warm the basting mixture gently.  Remove from heat and pour into a small bowl.

Prepare all the vegetables.  I rarely peel potatoes, though I did peel the sweet potatoes as the skins looked tough. Cut into easily managed slices.  Place the vegetables in the bowl with the olive oil mixture, toss gently, and let sit for at least 10 minutes.

Heat oven to 400F.

Arrange vegetables on a baking sheet with a lip ( also known as a jellyroll pan), pouring all the olive oil mixture onto the pan as well.  Sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and slide into oven.  Set timer for 30 minutes.  After 20 minutes, stir the vegetables around a bit and return to oven.  Remove from oven when all vegetables are fork-tender, spoon onto a platter, and serve immediately.  I serve chunks of bread to mop up some of the juices on the platter - so good!









8 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Katrina! I love roasted potatoes and these look like a big bowl of yummy to me!

So, can I ask what you mean by 'working on some magazine articles' ? Are you writing them, photographing for them, editing....????

You can tell me if I'm being nosy (I like to think of it as curious :) ).

I'm happy your weather is cooler. Ours is cooler one day and then it gets so hot agin - ugh.

Marianne said...

Lovely potatoes, lovely photos, lovely post!

katrina said...

Hi Barb! I do the recipes ( and photos) for a wonderful local magazine called Monadnock Table (Monadnock being our famous mountain) - and I love not only the magazine, but our wonderful editor. Lots of information on our local farms, farmers, and orchards in the area.
Love the mornings here, which are cool and almost bracing these days - thank heavens! Hope your weather cools a little:)

katrina said...

Thank you, Marianne!

kellypea said...

I love roasted veg -- and you're right -- any time of the year is good for them. I think the only real difference for us is that we make them on the grill instead of the oven. Your magazine sounds lovely! is sharing your articles possible? :)

diary of a tomato said...

These would go perfectly with the turkey I just retrieved from the freezer and roasted up. Made a little more summery by serving at room temp, and with an anchovy-caper sauce...

katrina said...

Kelly - on the grill sounds divine, though with my vintage hibachi I'm sure most of them would end up in the ashes....
Monadnock Table is online pdf, but the recipes and photos I think are not....It's really just a lovely color page of recipes and photos, with a short intro, some of which you've seen on the blog.

katrina said...

Oooo, anchovy-caper sauce sounds interesting, MsTomato! I envy you your turkey! Researching for a turkey recipe with a wine (maybe) sauce, waiting for a cool day , and searching for a turkey breast, hard to find in our somewhat limited rural area.