All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, January 20, 2014

toasty gluten-free granola with maple syrup, cranberries and bananas










I was browsing through the Cannelle et Vanille site last night , looking for recipes for our Izzie, who is again on a gluten-free diet.  When I saw this recipe, I was so excited I had to make it instantly, even though it was 9 pm.  I know Izzie loves cranberries, spices, nuts, and granola - unlike me, who still prefers warm oatmeal with apples.  

But once the granola came out of the oven, it smelled so good I had to taste it.  

I heated some milk, added a few slices of banana and a spoonful of that beautiful local honey over the granola, and let it soak for a few minutes - perfect on a chilly night or morning.

I did follow the recipe, but used less maple syrup and vanilla and no seeds at all.  Check out her link above to see many other suggestions for ingredients.  I'm already thinking of adding coconut for the next batch - or maybe mango!  This is so fun:)


Here is my version:

Preheat oven to 325F.
You will need a baking sheet, ungreased

3 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup pecan pieces

Place the oats and nuts in a large bowl.

In a small pan heat :

1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil (mine was firm, so I packed the measuring cup)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Heat until the coconut oil has dissolved and the mixture is warm.

Pour the mixture over the oats and nuts and toss well, until the oats and nuts are coated evenly.

Spread on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, turning the pan and stirring the granola 3 times so it bakes evenly.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before adding:

1 1/2 cups dried cranberries

Mix the cranberries in well and store in a large jar, making sure it is completely cooled.





30 degrees today and a nice day for a little walk .  Coming back to the house I saw my pale pink geraniums waving from the living room window, very cheery on this overcast day.  And some little critter has been out and about.  Hope your day is wonderful!

2 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Canelle et Vanille is always a treat..How sweet of you..to make Izzie this granola..

katrina said...

Nana, I know we are similar with our love for our grandchildren - nothing you wouldn't do if your grand had a gluten issue. Love Aran Goyoaga's book, not only for the recipes, but so PRETTY! Pleased to say 7 year old Izzie instantly had a bowlful - and even shared with her little brother.