All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, July 21, 2014

fresh cherry scones with lemon zest






When it comes to cherries and strawberries, I usually think fresh.  Fresh fruit salads, green salads with a handful tossed in at the last minute,  cottage cheese with mint, basil and cherries or strawberries.  But for some reason I went searching Pinterest very early this morning for a muffin or scone recipe for that last cupful of pitted cherries.  And I found the almost perfect recipe - except I didn't have any sliced almonds nor almond extract.  You know how it is - you plunge ahead merrily anyway, and I'm happy to say it came out just fine, though I would love to try it with the almonds sometime, nice with a little crunch!

I did change a few measurements - a little less baking powder, a little more buttermilk because the batter was so firm, lemon zest instead of almond extract, and a slightly lower temperature since my oven runs a little hot sometimes.  But all in all, a lovely new recipe for those special brunches.  Many thanks to Table for Two!


Fresh Cherry Scones

Preheat oven to 375F
Line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside.

For the scones:
3 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
zest of half a lemon (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny cubes
1 1/4  cups buttermilk  plus a little more if needed
1 cup halved fresh cherries
sparkling sugar

For the glaze:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
few drops of almond or vanilla extract

Place the flour, lemon zest, sugar, baking powder and baking soda, and salt into the mixer bowl and mix briefly.

Add the butter and use a pastry blender to break the butter pieces down before using the mixer - I've found the dough gets too tough if I use the beater blade too much.

Pour in the buttermilk and mix just until the dough comes together - if it's too thick, add another 1/4 cup buttermilk and quickly stir again.
Gently stir in the cherries quickly and without staining the dough too much.

Use an ice cream scoop to space out 7 scones per sheet and sprinkle scones with sparkling sugar before sliding into the upper third of the oven.  Bake for 20 minutes, remove to cooling rack,  then bake the other sheet .  Using a spatula if needed, remove the first scones to a cooling rack to cool completely before icing, then do the same with the second sheet.

When scones are completely cool, mix up the glaze with a small whisk and drizzle quickly over cooled scones, using the whisk or a fork to make zig-zag lines.  Let dry completely before placing on a platter.   This made 14 scones.


I just got a new picture of our Izzie - who has grown SO much I can't believe it!  Minnesota seems to be agreeing with all of them  - and they are constantly biking or hiking, swimming or visiting museums, or taking the Light Rail trains, which Frankie is mad about.  And Noah? Mr. Tractor is finally walking and talking!



4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Oh Izzie and the lilies♥

So so cute Katrina..almost looks like my house across the street:)

If these taste half as good as your other scone recipes..I am making them!:)

katrina said...

Oh, Nana - the scones were delicious, but wished I'd had the sliced almonds, which I think would be a delight to bite into.... Just after I got this picture of Izzie I got another - with short, short hair! Quite the chic little girl!

Barb said...

Oh Katrina - Izzie is so cute! Any chance you might get to visit them in Minnesota sometime?

I'm saving this scone recipe to make sometime later - it's going to be 92 (ugh!) today - I can't bear the thought of turning in the oven! But I'll make sure to have some almonds and makes these - they domains perfect.

Hope you are doing well.

katrina said...

Oh, Barb - this part of NH is really, really hot today, guessing 95 so I completely understand the staying out of the kitchen! So happy you saw Izzie's picture (who, by the way, just cut her hair - picture sometime as soon as they send) -
A trip to Minnesota is not in my future, but I'm sure they'll be back to visit sometime. Right now, anticipating grandchild #4! My son and his wife are expecting a boy early August - pretty exciting! Stay cool!