All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Friday, July 25, 2014

fresh lemon scones with drizzle icing





You know how crazy I am about lemon by now -  nine times out of ten I'll pick lemon over chocolate.  Yesterday was one of those days, when I woke up with a yearning for a tangy lemon scone.  Even better, how about a lemon icing, sticky and sweet-tart?

Oh, my gosh, these were delicious!  I had them with my newest favorite, seltzer with lemon slices and sprigs of fresh mint from the garden, sitting in the shade and listening to the burble of Moose Brook.  Does that sound like summer or what?


Fresh Lemon Scones (with drizzle icing)

Preheat oven to 375F.
Fit a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

zest from one large lemon (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
2 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
2 pinches kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny cubes
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

The glaze:
1 egg white, beaten until frothy
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
sanding sugar

Place the zest, flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in mixer bowl and mix briefly.
Add the cold butter and mix until incorporated well, but you can still see tiny pieces of butter.
Add the lemon juice to the buttermilk and add to the flour mixture, mixing briefly again until the dough clumps together. If it's too dry, add a little more buttermilk, a tablespoon at a time.
Remove dough to a clean counter and pat into a circle.  Cut the dough into 8 pieces and arrange on the baking sheet.
Brush each scone with the egg white glaze, then sprinkle on the sanding sugar.
Place in preheated oven on the upper third shelf.
Bake 20 minutes, or until scones are golden.

While the scones are baking, make the drizzle icing:

3/4  cup confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
one drop of vanilla
a tablespoon or so of milk  - enough to make a thick but easy to drizzle icing using a fork or whisk.

Let scones cool completely before icing, then drizzle on as you wish.  You can also serve the icing in little dishes for dunking instead of drizzling on (kids love dunking!).

The blueberries are ripe, peach season coming up, followed by apples -  don't you just love summer?



6 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Now this is the second scone recipe in a row I have to make!
I always believe you when you say a scone is good since I have made yours:)
10 out of 10 I'll pick lemon:)
Sounds..lovely the picture you have painted Katrina!

Sue/the view from great island said...

Oh my this calls my name...I'm crazy for lemon!

katrina said...

Nana - I'm amazed that you're a 10 out of 10! I always think of you and flowers - and chocolate, for some reason:) Thank you - you are very kind - while I can't paint with watercolors as you do so charmingly, I do try to paint with words, it's true. Think you and the alphabet boys might like these! Have a beautiful weekend!

katrina said...

Oh, Sue - these really are you!

Barb said...

Mmmmmm - I love lemon too! And my favorite thing in the whole world to drink is a glass of Perrier with a big wedge of lemon - oh Yum! So refreshing.
(But I just made a batch of chocolate chip cookies)

We just had a huge storm pass thru and cooled the temperature -a drop of almost 20 degrees.

.

katrina said...

Oh, Barb - I sure hope that weather is coming our way! So humid here! Nothing wrong with chocolate! Actually, I went into a craving mode today, wanting, of all things - creamy homemade chocolates! We have two shops around here now - guess I need to do a little taste testing:) I don't eat chocolate often, but when I do I want the best!