All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, August 4, 2014

leek and potato soup: potage parmentier







Oh my word, it is swampy today - humid, still air, damp, damp, damp.  The weathervane is pointing toward my Southern kin in the South - thanks, guys:)

On days like this, I always cook early in the morning, when the coolness of night is still retained in the kitchen floor tiles - I am barefoot, of course, as I pull the leeks out of the fridge for this soup - vichyssoise, really, but I don't like chilled soup, so it's more a potage parmentier, not hot, not cold, just right to taste the velvety blend of herbs, leeks, potatoes, and butter.

The leeks were very sandy, so I sliced them up and swished them in several pots of water, until I could no longer feel the grains of sand at the bottom of the pot.  Don't neglect this step, or your soup will be ruined.  I learned my lesson long ago not to rush, after one batch I made for company was so agonizingly sandy it was inedible.

I used my lion bowls, which hold one and a half cups, so this made just enough for two:  3 cups.


POTAGE PARMENTIER

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups well-washed and sliced leek whites
1 1/2 cups peeled red potatoes, cut in large dice
2 cups light chicken or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon fresh dill, pulled off stems
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, pulled off the stems
3/4 cup whipping cream
kosher salt to taste
fresh pepper to taste

Wash the leeks very very well!  

Place the leeks and butter in a heavy bottomed pot and braise on medium heat, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring a few times and making sure they do not burn.

Add the potatoes, chicken or vegetable stock, and the thyme and dill to the leek whites and simmer on medium until the potatoes are soft.

Remove from heat and add the cream and stir.  

Using a stick blender or a food processor, puree soup.  If it's very, very thick, add a little more cream or water.  Taste and add salt, pepper, or more dill as you wish.

You can serve cold, hot, or somewhere in the middle - I like it warm because it brings out the flavor beautifully.


Hope you're all enjoying summer!


4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Isn't it just sooo pretty?
I am a lover of these colors..
So appetizing:)

And I am now particularly fond of the adjective swampy for this weather!!

katrina said...

Nana dear - I am a lover of the taste! So smooth and herby and delicious - and yes, such a pretty color. Thank you for swinging by. I think tomorrow would be a good day to jump in a lake and be revived by the cold water, yes?

Benoît said...

Hi,
My name is Benoit and I would like to know if you would let me use the picture of the Potage Parmentier for an eBook
Please let me know :)

thanks

she's in the kitchen said...

Benoit - of course, as long as you credit my blog .