All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

braised kale and broccoli with feta and olives





I'm embarrassed to say I have forgotten where I found this recipe, but the second I saw it, I was sure it was something I would love.  I am a huge fan of kale, but not raw kale, and lately there are so many recipes for that.  Not me - I love kale in my favorite kale recipe ever, Portuguese Kale Soup ,with potatoes, linguica ( a Portuguese sausage common on the Outer Cape), and tomatoes.  And I often make whipped potatoes with cooked kale, just for the greenery and the knowledge I am, hopefully, making a healthy meal.


But this combination knocked me out.  I also love broccoli, and feta, and olives, for heaven's sake, so how could it go wrong?


I have now made this three times - I have had it for brunch, breakfast AND supper, and it was so pleasing every single time.  You really need to make this, my friends.  It will be on your menu for years, and will never disappoint.




Braised kale and broccoli with feta and olives


Lightly braised in olive oil, the kale and broccoli are cooked until just tender, then tossed with salty feta and pitted Kalamata olives.  A wonderful side dish for Thanksgiving, or a chilly autumn supper or brunch, the recipe is easily halved.

To make about 6- 8 servings:

4-5 cups broccoli florets
10 cups torn kale leaves, slightly packed, stems discarded
4 tablespoons mild olive oil
about 1/4 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
4 ounces cubed or crumbled feta cheese

Place the olive oil and the water in a large heavy skillet, adjust heat to medium, then add the broccoli florets and stir.  Cook for 6 minutes or so, stirring a few times, until just tender.

Add the kale and stir gently, then cover the skillet for 5 minutes.  Uncover, stir, and  remove from heat.
Add the olives and feta while the greens are still warm, tossing gently before serving.

I promise you, you will love it.

And that beautiful sunflower?  In memory of a wonderful woman, Pat Fairchild, who died recently.  Her  fellow gardeners planted a beautiful garden for her outside the post office, with towering , sunny sunflowers even taller than she was.  We all miss her marvelous spirit, and her feisty, loving personality.  What a woman.

Enjoy the last days of summer!  

4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Your dish looks great Katrina..
I will try it..
And the sunflower..how sweet..unusual too!
Do you feel summer waning?

katrina said...

Oh, Nana - I forgot to write on your post this morning! The day got away from me, apologies.

Summer? What summer? A few hot days was all we got, and I am not sure I can face Autumn so soon. My daughter's birthday is the 28th of this month, and I remember sweltering birthday parties, not so this year. The memory of last winter is haunting me - let us cross our fingers!

Barb said...

Hi Katrina - I'm not a fan of kale so I never make it. But ... since I think just about everything I have ever seen (or made) on your blog sounds soooo good, I am going to give this a try.

I love the sunflower photo - sunflowers are so 'happy' - one of my favorites.

Hope you are doing well!

katrina said...

Barb, I'm positively honored that you would even think of making this! I think kale is best when it's cooked enough to be a little more than wilted, or tossed into soups the last five or ten minutes of cooking. Hope you love it as much as I do.

Oh, that sunflower garden is amazing! Every color, every kind of sunflower you've ever seen, with bright pink and yellow zinnias planted around the sunflowers - bright and cheerful, just like Pat.