All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, May 9, 2016

rainbow chard, baby tomatoes and sorrel with red wine vinaigrette





Oh, my, life has been busy!  For months I've been searching for a place back in beloved New Hampshire, then, when that turned up nothing affordable, the Minneapolis area.  I move at the end of the month , yet again rooms filled with boxes.  But plenty of walks to take in the beauty of the season here, the flowering trees are truly stunningly beautiful.  A visit to Lake Nokomis, to watch the ducks and ducklings.  A visit to a community garden, picking rhubarb for stewing and sorrel for this light supper one night.  Oh, the colors and tastes of May!  Many walks with the new puppy, Maisie, take me outside more than usual - she has yet to get the whole potty training down pat. It reminds me of those days with my then-toddler children:)  And all those new friends I've made out here have made my days busier and full of good conversation and rambles - and good food.





Rainbow chard, tomatoes, and sorrel with red wine vinaigrette :

5 leaves (stems included) rainbow chard, roughly cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1-2 heaping cups baby yellow and red tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh sorrel, thinly sliced
about 1/2 cup water - more if needed
kosher salt and lots of freshly ground pepper

Place the olive oil and water in a stainless steel frying pan and heat.
Add the chard and tomatoes and cook, covered, until wilted.
Uncover and add the sorrel, cook until the chard stems are a little soft, and the tomatoes are just about to burst.
Drain, if necessary (I had no water left, but you might)

The vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon good olive oil

Mix well and pour over the vegetables, toss gently.  Sprinkle with the salt and pepper, then the sorrel leaves and serve.
Serves two.


Have a wonderful week!







5 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Oh my..what courage you have!

Did you miss NH so so much? We get so ensconced in our nests don't we?

But you found a new home elsehwre..I can't imagine how much energy went into all that..

Love the colors here:) Our trees will pop soon..
Bon Courage!

katrina said...

Oh, that was as good as a hug, Nana! I love the country and the area I lived in for 38 years, but learning to roll with the changes in my life. A new place on a tree lined street, 1st floor instead of 5th floor in a high rise, where I've been almost a year. Lots of new friends - Minnesota really is Minnesota Nice (their ad campaign). Merci for the courage!

La Table De Nana said...

Well kudos..you never complain!
Hope it all goes smoothly..1rst floor will be nice;)

katrina said...

Thank you, Nana! Looking forward to having a little kitchen to myself - I used to spend hours cooking, writing, photographing and generally wool gathering - not easy with other people and children around. First thing will be lots of pink geraniums!

Debra said...

Oh, Katrina, I'm sorry that you weren't able to make the Seacoast work but am so glad you've found a place — with kitchen — to call your own! Cheers to new beginnings and the many meals to come!