All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

dark chocolate and cherry scones








It's a beautiful day here today - the rain has finally stopped, the sun is out, and I just got back from a visit to my favorite beach: the lake behind MacDowell Dam. Turtles were sunning themselves on stones, and a solitary Mrs. Duck was posing on a large granite rock. The water lapped on the sandy shore, and the red winged blackbirds were whirling above. Lovely day, and I was starving when I got home.


You know how I love scones, don't you? Well, today, I had an image of a not-too-sweet chocolate and dried cherry scone so here is the result, which was very tender and tasty. The 60% bittersweet chocolate I chopped up for the scones reminded me of the chocolate you often find in chocolate croissants - not too sweet, not too bitter.


To make 8 scones:

Preheat oven to 375F.

Line a jellyroll pan cookie sheet with foil or parchment.

~

2 cups King Arthur flour

1 stick (8 T) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1/4 t. nutmeg

1/4 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. kosher salt

1/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 t. baking powder

1/2 cup chopped 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate or chocolate chips of your choice

1/2 cup dried cherries

1 + cup buttermilk ( start with 1 cup, the dough should come together easily. If too dry, add a few more tablespoons buttermilk)

~

In mixer bowl, mix the flour, sugar, spices, salt, baking powder, and cold butter.

Mix until the butter is thoroughly incorporated in the flour mixture.

Add the chocolate and cherries and mix, then add the buttermilk.

Mix gently until the dough forms a ball, then remove to the counter.

Using your hands or a rolling pin, roll or pat into a 9" or so circle.

Cut circle into 8 pieces, place pieces on baking sheet, and bake for 22 minutes.

The scones should be golden brown on top and light when gently picked up.

Cool and enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a beach to walk to? I am jealous now.
Your scones look wonderful. Great combination of the chocolate and dried cherries.

katrina said...

Well, Kirsten, it's not a real honest to goodness salt water ocean beach, but since I live 2 hours from the seacoast, it fills the need. Glad you enjoyed the scones - thanks!

Barb said...

A little behind in my 'blog' reading - but...mmmmmmm! which to make first -the blueberry brown sugar muffins or these scones???? You pose a tough decision dilemma! Of course the correct decision is to make both!!

It's pretty hot here today (about 90 degrees) so I may have to wait a few days with the hope that it cools off a bit. Is it hot around your part of the state?

katrina said...

Hi Barb!
Lovely day today - a little hot, but not humid. Hot in the kitchen, though, since I've been experimenting:)
I'm definitely trying those blueberry muffins again when the blues are ripe around here! They were delicious even with frozen berries, but more so, I think, with fresh. And I loved the scones, so I guess you're not getting much help from me deciding which to make:)

plasterers bristol said...

this sounds good. Something new to try as well. thanks for sharing this recipe.

Simon

katrina said...

Very welcome, Simon! I haven't made these in ages, but now you've got me remembering just how delicious they were - I think you'll like the combination. Thanks for reminding me -