All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, January 16, 2011

cornmeal pancakes ( after the snow)






We recently had quite a snowstorm - over 20 inches of beautiful snow! The stone walls are blanketed, and the boulders deep in the woods are looking like hibernating elephants. The last few days have also been chilly - yesterday was -2 when I got up, and it never got above 20 degrees, although the day was partly sunny. All that shovelling meant I was ravenous - and not for my usual poached eggs, either!


While I adore my apple pancakes, I was out of apples, so I cobbled together these cornmeal pancakes from an old recipe in Joy of Cooking. I wanted to try a fruit sauce, and, having just cleaned out the freezer and found some strawberries tucked away in the back, stirred up a quick strawberry sauce with a little lemon juice and sugar. It was delicious, but the last of the maple syrup was even better! I made "silver dollar" pancakes - bigger than a silver dollar at 4 inches, but smaller than my usual 8 inch pancakes. There's something about a stack of pancakes that is immensely satisfying - and these stacked easily.


To make about 20 four inch pancakes:


1 cup cornmeal

1 t. salt

3 T. sugar or honey or maple syrup

1 cup boiling water

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

3 T. melted butter

1/2 cup plus 2 T. King Arthur all purpose flour

2 t. baking powder


Place the cornmeal, salt, and sugar in a bowl, then pour in the boiling water and stir. let sit for ten minutes.

In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk and melted butter together, then add to the cornmeal mixture.

Stir in the flour, beat quickly ( a few lumps are ok), then add the baking powder.

*
Heat a skillet or griddle, and, using a paper towel, rub with canola oil.
Measure out about 2 T. batter for each pancake. Serve with soft butter and warm maple syrup and enjoy!
You might also like these fresh apple pancakes.








4 comments:

Farmgirl Susan said...

Oh Kat, these look so good! I love cornmeal pancakes but haven't made them (or any pancakes, for that matter) in years. I know, what's wrong with me? ; )

And when I checked the weather this morning, I discovered they'd put several inches of snow into the forecast since I'd last looked. Not nearly as much as you had, but that's just fine with me. I don't know if we could handle 20 inches of snow here - but I know we could handle some of these pancakes. Stay warm. xoxox

katrina said...

Thanks, fig - delighted you enjoyed! That 20 inches got multiplied the other day - just add another 7 inches, and you'll know why I needed these! Time for me to go check out what you and your critters are up to ♥

Rebekah Daphne said...

We thought these were quite tasty. Maybe a little dry, but the flavor was good, and a fun change from our usual buttermilk or oatmeal pancakes. Thanks!

katrina said...

Rebekah - if it was dry, perhaps adding a little water and letting it sit might help? I can't remember which cornmeal I used, but I know there are lots of different grinds and brands.