All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, December 1, 2008

fresh apple pancakes - dairy free!



These pancakes have always been our special breakfast - or even sometimes dinner on a snowy evening. They're loaded with fresh, diced apples, a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg, and are deliciously thick and fairly small, just the way we like them. I usually serve them with a blueberry sauce ( for my son, who didn't like maple syrup) and warm maple syrup for the rest of us. So when I started to make them this morning, a little bell started banging in my head. Why not try soymilk instead of milk? The same son recently discovered he had painful reactions to dairy suddenly - I had never tried an alternative, but what the heck. So I did. Imagine my surprise when they tasted exactly the same!
So here you go - a fantastic pancake recipe that will work both ways.
To make:
about 3 apples, peeled and diced small
1 egg
1 cup milk or soymilk ( I used Silk Plain)
3 T. unsalted butter, melted in skillet ( or vegetable oil or butter substitute)
1 1/2 cups King Arthur flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
2 T. sugar
Beat the egg, butter or oil, and milk or soymilk together in a bowl.
Add the diced apples.
Add the flour, sugar, spices, and baking powder and stir well.
In skillet or griddle set on medium low, add a teaspoon of butter or oil to pan.
Let pan heat evenly, then scoop out batter with a ladle - mine holds about 3/4 cup of batter - and make two medium pancakes.
Allow pancakes to cook for about 4 minutes, or until you see little bubbles on the sides and top of the pancakes, then flip and let cook another 4 minutes. Because of the apple, they need to cook at a lower temperature than regular pancakes. Check to make sure they're not charring.
Remove pancakes to a platter, then add a little more butter or oil, then more batter - and so on.
This should be enough for 8 fat pancakes.
If you have a griddle that will cook more pancakes than two at a time evenly, by all means try.
Serve with warm maple syrup, honey, jam, or blueberry sauce.
Blueberry Sauce:
1 cup frozen blueberries
squeeze lemon juice
2 T. orange juice
1 T. honey or sugar
Simmer until it makes a thin, fruity sauce.
Enjoy the snow!
Featured in TasteSpotting!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum - I just had two of these leftover pancakes for a snack, spread with peanut butter - and the apple taste is just wonderful with the peanut butter!

Ana said...

You don't know how close we came to sharing these pancakes with you on Monday morning! The road were horrible while we were driving home. I went off the road between Keene and Brattleboro, and had to call Triple A! We're all fine so good enough.

Anonymous said...

Oh NO! I was watching the sleet come down and held my breath, thinking you'd call me if it got worse. I am so sorry! See? You should've stayed for the night .... winter in New England is so precarious. Take good care...
(ps/you missed some fine pancakes)

Olga said...

Ooh, I love adding apples to my pancakes. I usually use use a boxed mix, so the fresh apples make breakfast extra special :)

Anonymous said...

For those who use a made-up mix, Olga, that's a wonderful idea! Thanks for the tip!

The Food Hound said...

I tried a recipe for sourdough apple pancakes from Food Network and they were not spectacular, but I have not abandoned my desire to make an apple pancake! I will try these! I wish we had 20" of snow... but we got 4, so that was about 20" for Knoxville :)

katrina said...

FoodHound - my brother in Alabama got 7 inches and a few more inches the next day! I'm glad you got some snow - it makes winter more like winter, no matter where you are. I'm still shovelling:)
I think you'll like these apple pancakes, and the leftovers ( if there are any) make a great snack!
Thanks!