All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, December 28, 2008

lowfat lemon drizzle muffins






Can you believe we have only three more days to 2008? I was just getting used to writing "08"! As you see, I have one of my three wall calendars out - mostly to gaze on that cute puppy and vow this year I will finally get another Golden. I was, of course, also thinking about diets, so I whipped up this lovely, tangy lowfat lemon muffin - and the best part? The sugary drizzles on the top!
This is a nice, clean, light muffin - just what is needed after many recipe try-outs, tastings, and two dinners on Christmas Eve. I hope you enjoy it.
To make:
Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a Texas size muffin tin. This recipe makes six large muffins.
2 cups King Arthur flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
grated rind of one lemon
1 cup plain yogurt (lowfat or not)
1/4 c. canola oil
1 large egg
1 t. vanilla
The drizzle:
1/2 c. confectioners sugar
1 T. fresh lemon juice
Mix all the dry ingredients in the mixer bowl. (the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda)
Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl - the lemon zest, yogurt, canola, egg, and vanilla.
Scrape the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined.
Fill the six muffin cups and bake for about 30 minutes, or until gently brown on top and slightly firm to the touch when you touch the tops.
Remove to a cooling rack. Remove from muffin tins after 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
(otherwise the icing will melt and ooze)
When completely cool, mix the lemon juice and confectioner's sugar together until it is smooth . Using a fork, dip tines into icing and drizzle all over muffin tops. I usually have about half left over - very handy ( and delicious) for dipping my muffin in as I nibble it.
Happy last few days of the year!
featured on TasteSpotting!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Katrina~ I do believe you have figured out my weakness - one of my most favorite flavors - lemon!! These look fabulous and I'm going to make them! (It doesn't hurt that they are lowfat, either. The holidays can be a cruel joke on eating healthy, can't they?)

The Golden is adorable - are you really thinking of getting one?

Anonymous said...

Ah Barb - I'm another lemon lover - can't you tell? Lemon cake, lemon poppyseed muffins, lemon mousse - and this recipe. Much prefer it to chocolate most of the time. And the lowfat content makes me think I just may lose those 10 pounds that are so stubborn about leaving.
I've had two Goldens, and am totally in love with them! I just melt when I see a Golden and their happy little smiles. SUCH great dogs! I just wish the prices on them weren't so high or I'd have had my new one a year ago. Found a great breeder in my area , so that's a step forward....

Anonymous said...

Hummm,if anyone has a technique to share with me on the icing drizzles, I would love it! This icing dries very fast, and I'm looking at the photos and thinking it could look much better.......

Anonymous said...

I happened to see these on tastespotting and scooted on over. They look delicious! I am definitely trying them out, but I think I might add orange instead of lemon. Happy Holidays!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me know, Emily ! I love your idea for Orange Drizzles - let me know how it tastes!

Anonymous said...

Katrina~ Just curious but have you ever considered getting a rescued Golden? I absolutely love Goldens - although I've never had one - they are my (almost) favorite dog (except for my own dog!) There is really nothing like a dog, is there? Good luck in the search - it's great you found a great breeder near you.

Anonymous said...

Barb - all the rescue and humane societies charge a lot of money for a dog you don't know much about, and require a fenced in yard. I took in a severely abused Golden and he was a love - but it took five years for him to get to a good place, poor guy. I'd like to start next time the way I did with my first - with a young, much loved puppy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina~ I'll look forward to reading the future adoption of a new Golden in your life. Seriously, what is more wonderful than a Golden puppy?

I didn't make these muffins (yet!), but I did make the blueberry muffins from the KAF cookbook 'cuz I had some blueberries to use up - delish!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb - do try my blueberry muffins sometime - they are also delicious,and the only ones I ever make, but I'll check out the KA ones next time I visit the library. I haven't yet bought the KA Baking Book, but I check it out every now and then.


I do hope this is my year for a pup - I'll keep you posted!

Anonymous said...

these sound so yummy and refreshing. What a good start to a New Year's morning brunch!

gaga said...

Yum. I love lemon in baked goods, it somehow makes it taste healthier =) These look great!

Anonymous said...

So right, Megan! You can also make these in teeny weeny muffin tins and stack on a cake stand for a brunch. Think pastry without too many fats....

Anonymous said...

gaga - I never thought of that! I love the zing of lemon, but of course - anything with lemon DOES taste healthier, and probably is. Delighted you enjoyed!

Anonymous said...

Just made these with a ton of limes I had. I'm waiting to see how the come out!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea, warpling! Let me know how they turn out - I'm really interested whether the substitution worked well....thanks!

Valerie said...

I copied this one to make!!! Low-fat and lemon--yum!

katrina said...

I just made a batch of these again, Valerie - 3 left in the freezer for "emergency" sweet attacks! I think you'll really love them . I agree, lemon plus lowfat = terrific. Thanks for coming by!