All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, February 27, 2011

beluga for the Oscars - beluga lentils, that is!











I'm getting a little punchy with this everlasting snow - which is now up to the kitchen window sill. So, when my neighbor gave me some of these lentils the other day and I discovered they were known as "Beluga" lentils, well - I had to have a little fun, didn't I?


Given that today is Oscar day ( which I only watch to see the dresses), a lot of people are hosting parties, and this would be a fun surprise: trimmed hard boiled eggs ( using only the white) filled to the brim with tiny black lentils. Save a little of the hard boiled yolk to make it resemble caviar even more - or top with scallions, parsley, or little bits of tomatoes. Not using the yolks also makes it less aromatically eggy and there's no mayonnaise, so it's dairy free.



To make about 3/4ths of a cup of cooked lentils:



Hard boil six eggs, drain, and leave to soak in cool water.

~


1/2 cup tiny black "Beluga" lentils

a bay leaf

2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced

water to cover the lentils plus a few inches


Bring the water, lentils, garlic, and bay leaf to a boil, turn down to a medium simmer/boil and cook for about 12 minutes, or until lentils are cooked.


Drain the lentils and remove the garlic and bay leaf, then place the lentils in a bowl.


Add to the lentils:


2T. olive oil

1/2 t. cumin

1/2 t. ( or to taste) kosher salt

fresh pepper

a few squeezes of Sriracha hot sauce

1 T. fresh lemon or lime juice


Toss gently.

~


Peel the hard boiled eggs. Trim a tiny bit of the ends off so they'll sit upright.

Cut the trimmed eggs in half vertically.

Gently squeeze the eggs until the yolk pops out.

Fill the eggs with the lentil mixture, garnish with parsley, scallions, egg yolk, or your choice of garnish.

Keep chilled until about to serve.

~


If you have any leftovers, these would be a great brown-bag lunch!

Enjoy!



6 comments:

Barb said...

Oh you had me fooled too! Actually, I don't think I've ever had caviar - Great photos!

I like the Oscars to watch the dresses, too. Although I'm kind of hoping Colin Firth wins, 'cuz he's kind of a cutie!

katrina said...

Hi Barb! I adore Colin Firth - ever since I saw him in "Bridget Jones's Diary" - along with bad boy, Hugh Grant. I hope he wins. And if you ever get a chance to eat really good (ie expensive) caviar, try it! It's stunning. Thanks for swinging by!

Marianne said...

How clever of you! And your photos are wonderful!

katrina said...

Thanks, Marianne - delighted you enjoyed!

Barb said...

Ahhh! It was a good day at the Oscar's for Mr. Firth! How happy are we, Katrina???

(By the way, have you seen 'The King's Speech'? I have not but everyone that I know that has seen it has said that it was very good.)

katrina said...

Over the top! Colin is a sweetie, and I'm thrilled he won ♥ Look forward to seeing the movie - just finished several books set in that time, so I'm psyched.