All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Friday, February 4, 2011

wonderful winter soups- vegetarian






















Those of us in the Northeast have been having quite a winter! And, to me, winter means soup - usually hearty, sometimes vegetarian, but always loaded with the scents of herbs, and soothing to the soul and tummy. Add a perfect slice of buttered, toasted bread, and you're good. For vegetarians, think Kale and Lentil soup with hot peppers and cumin. Or Carrot and Ginger soup, heady with fresh ginger. Thyme and Mushroom soup is a blissful, carb-free, deep and tasty soup that takes minutes to whip up. Butternut Squash soup with Indian spices simply rocks the taste buds, and Spinach-Arugula soup makes you feel, not only like Popeye, but healthy to the core. Potato soup with crunchy scallions is soothing, and blissful, while Rapini and Pasta soup hits all the healthy spots - healthful, tasty, and clean, as does the Rapini ( broccoli rabe) with cannelini beans and basil. And the Corn Chowder with fresh dill is simply stunning.
So enjoy the last month of winter ( we hope!) - and these marvelous soups!


In between all that shoveling of snow, and endless drying out of boots and gloves and mittens, take a little time to enjoy the soups of winter!

What I'm reading:
Citizens of London - The Americans who stood with Britain in its darkest, finest hour.
A fine, fine book about World War II and the bond between the British and the Americans, which, I'm ashamed to say, I had very little knowledge of.











12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must be partial to orange because my favorite is Curried Butternut Squash soup and in second place ranks Carrot with Ginger! Good spices for keeping warm too! Stay warm up there best you can!

katrina said...

Great choices, Donna! And I do agree that those sublime Indian spices and ginger warm one up right from your head to your tippity toes! Happy to hear from our weatherpeople that they feel the extreme weather is pretty much over - I sure hope they're right!

Carla said...

These soups look yummy! I was just looking through one of the winter issues of Vegetarian Times magazine today and came across a few recipes one being a Thai soup that sounded good. I will add yours to my list to try too. I make soup often, even in the summer months.

Marianne said...

Spectacular photos ... one is more impressive than the next. I especially like the way you have garnished your soups. Each one is a small masterpiece!

Barb said...

As usual, your photos are such a pleasure to look at - not to mention make my mouth water! I just made some homemade chicken noodle - yummy! especially THIS winter!

We are getting quite the unexpected dump of snow at the moment (Sat. afternoon!) - those weather people failed to mention this round of snow! I'm afraid it may be heading your way. :(

katrina said...

Thanks - and glad you enjoyed, Carla! I'm a real beginner with Thai flavors, but so far I really love the spices. And I'm a fan of soup year round, too ♥

katrina said...

Thanks soooo much, Marianne! Garnishes certainly highlight a soup, that's for sure, but it can take several tries before you hit on just the right one. Much easier in the summer, when you can dash out to the herb garden or vegetable garden and grab the perfect tendril or blossom!

katrina said...

Mmmmm, Barb - chicken noodle sounds wonderful! Unfortunately, the weather turned quite nasty around lunchtime, so I never did get off to the market for chicken - booooo. Snow, freezing rain, and rain, on top of the several feet of snow we've had so far - which had me developing my recent skills with the roof rake:)

Barb said...

Oooooh Katrina!! Roof raking is so physically exhausting - I feel your pain. That is one 'skill' I wish we didn't have to develop. Sort of like shoveling with your arms over your head - ugh! We have had to do that a couple of times this year and I don't think we have had near the snow (or rain!) that you have had. This is truly some kind of winter, isn't it? Be careful.

katrina said...

Hi Barb!
Living in an old house demands I keep up with the roof raking - not too bad, since I only have to rake about two feet off the edges. But the icicles were a little worrisome as they clanked against the windows! The weathermen assure me only a few more storms (and light ones, they say) and we should be onward to Spring - whew.

J Rodney said...

These look fabulous, and to a vegetarian divine! I only eat homemade soup, because store bought and restaurant soups usually sneak in some chicken broth or something in that category.

katrina said...

Glad you enjoyed, jr! I agree about store soups - I'm never quite sure what's in them, even though they smell wonderful in the store.