All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, January 18, 2010

soothing corn chowder with fresh dill


It has snowed again, and I came in from shovelling the walk with a raging appetite. Thankfully, I'd gone to the supermarket yesterday, where I grabbed a fresh bouquet of fresh dill, inhaling the perfume right there, between the romaine and the kale. Half the bunch went into the vegetable drawer in the fridge, but the other half I set in a vase, right on the counter, where I could smell it and admire its beauty.
Before I ventured out this morning, I'd done a quick post-Christmas freezer cleanout - so the bag of sweet corn was innocently sitting right next to the dill. Of course! Snatching up the corn and dill, I set to making this delightful and soothing corn chowder, which is one of my favorite soups in the winter.
Makes two large bowls of chowder.
2 or more T. diced thick cut bacon (optional)
OR
1 T. olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups peeled potatoes, large dice
2 1/2 cups light chicken or vegetable stock, or water
2 cups frozen sweet corn
1/2 t. thyme
1 1/2 T. minced fresh dill
1/2 t. salt and fresh pepper
1/2 cup any cream
1 T. fresh dill , minced for garnish, plus a few sprigs
Saute the bacon and onion together, or the olive oil and onion, if you prefer, on low heat.
Add the stock or water and increase the heat to medium high.
Add the potatoes and simmer until just soft.
Add the thyme, dill, salt and pepper, and the corn, and cook ten minutes more.
Take off heat ( or the cream will curdle) and add the cream and more dill.
Taste carefully before serving - it often needs more salt.
Our hearts go out to the people of Haiti at this terrible time. Please consider making a donation to Doctors without Borders or your favorite charity in their name.
Many thanks.


6 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I would have not thought of dill..Great idea..Great idea to keep mentioning Haiti also~

katrina said...

Really, Nana? I've always paired corn with dill, either in cornbread or corn and dill quiche - it complements the sweetness of corn very nicely.
Thank you for your support of Haiti, too. My heart just breaks for them, and I hope today aide and hospitals will finally get through.

Michelle said...

I would not have thought to add fresh dill to a chowder either. But I don't think I've ever made chowder before, lots of soups but no chowders.

I love dill and my market always has the most gorgeous bunches of dill! The next time I'm at the market, I'm going to buy a bunch and put it a vase in my kitchen! Great idea!

katrina said...

Awesome, Michelle! Dill fronds make the most beautiful bouquets, alone or intertwined with flowers. Hummm. For that matter, so do lemon verbena, mint, yarrow, and lemon balm - love the greenery!

Ashley Cordes said...

I love corn chowder. I make mine pretty much the same way. Sometimes I add a dash of cayenne pepper if I'm in the mood for a little heat. My latest post was on fresh dill and how to freeze it to use later. I think I'll make this soup this week!

katrina said...

Ashley - great post on dill! I love the dill ice cubes! I usually just mince the fresh dill and freeze, but your cubes are much prettier.
As far as heat - let's say there's always a bottle of hot sauce on the table:)