All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

slow-roasted tomatoes and provolone almost-panini







I can't take any credit for this sandwich, or for the addictive slow-roasted tomato recipe, but I can point you in the right direction for the most delicious almost-panini ever. The roasted tomato recipe comes from Pinch My Salt , and the panini idea comes from Panera Bread, where I had a delicious roasted tomato panini. I don't have a panini pan, but it is absolutely on my wish list now.
You can use supermarket tomatoes if you must ( and I must as it's winter here) but the summer tomatoes were definitely tastier. And after halving teeny, tiny grape tomatoes last fall, when I first tried this recipe, I decided to try plum tomatoes this time. After slow-roasting for three hours, the grape tomatoes were miniscule. I also tried a pan of thinly sliced plum tomatoes, but I much preferred the diced plum tomatoes. When they're done roasting, you can either store them in a lidded jar in the fridge with an extra drizzle of olive oil and a sprig of rosemary, or have a panini party.
To make:
Plum tomatoes , washed, dried, and cut in a large dice
Olive oil
salt and pepper
Dried thyme, oregano, and/or basil, minced fresh rosemary
Slice and dice the tomatoes and place in bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle about 1-2 teaspoons of herbs over the tomatoes.
Add the salt and pepper.
Toss gently.
Spread out on a parchment-lined baking pan, or non-stick baking pan.
Roast at 225F for between 3 and 4 hours.
The tomatoes should still be a little soft - if they're brittle, they're overcooked.
Butter two slices of bread and layer both sides with tomatoes. Cover with slices of provolone and press , broil, toast, or fry until cheese is melted. Or, use in salads, mac&cheese, or soups.
Any leftover tomatoes can be stored with a sprig of rosemary in the fridge in a lidded jar.
Enjoy!




10 comments:

Julie said...

That looks like total bliss. I could go for one of those for breakfast, with my coffee. Please.

Esi said...

I have a BUNCH of slow roasted tomatoes in my freezer. This looks like a wonderful way to use them up.

Maria said...

slow roasted tomatoes are my favorite. I bet they are amazing on this panini!

katrina said...

I can vouch for the bliss, Julie - I just had this for a late breakfast and it was AMAZING.

katrina said...

Oh, lucky you, Esi! Actually, I didn't mind the hours of roasting, since it warmed up the kitchen nicely. Absolutely go for this!

katrina said...

Maria, I just wish I hadn't run out of provolone - I would've loaded it! The tomatoes are so rich and tangy, they can hold up to extra cheese. Yum, yum.

Unknown said...

That looks sooooooo good!!

katrina said...

Nicole - it not only looks good, it tastes INCREDIBLE. Thanks again for your wonderful tomato roasting recipe!

kellypea said...

I don't think there's anything sexier than a pan of roasted tomatoes. Seriously. I've tried a few versions of slow roasted toms and it's amazing how different they can taste when it's all said and done. LOVE the idea of them on a panini. Nice. Making some roasted tomato soup today myself. Lovely photos in this...

katrina said...

Oh Kelly - I hope you're posting the recipe for the roasted tomato soup - it sounds wonderful!
Sexy tomatoes? Definitely - and I was surprised , as you mentioned,that each batch tasted slightly different.