All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, January 4, 2010

my favorite soup and a fun photo challenge





Over the weekend, I heard about the 365 project - a photo a day from enthusiastic photographers wanting to hone their skills, as well as have a record of their year 2010. I found a group on Flickr, but I'm also publishing them as a set under "shesinthekitchen" there. Check it out and join the fun! The seeded eucalyptus above is today's photo - #4.
And I just added a beautifully textured log I was about to throw into the woodstove.......

And between shoveling the new snow, and getting excited about pictures, I made the always delicious Tuscan Tomato soup for lunch - my favorite! I think most soups are more interesting if you cut some of the ingredients in different sizes - in this soup, the onions are fairly chunky, and I grate the carrots fairly fine. The mix of basil, tarragon, and thyme make for a tangy broth, along with the hearty veggies. So good, especially with some crusty , thick bread with butter.


To make:


1 T. unsalted butter

1 T. olive oil

2 stalks of celery, washed , trimmed, and sliced

1 large onion, roughly chopped

5 carrots, grated fairly fine

1 28 oz can of Italian plum tomatoes, whole, then cut up

1 can or so of water and/or chicken or vegetable broth (use the tomato can to measure)

1 t. basil

1/2 t. thyme

1/2 t. oregano

2 t. tarragon (I always use dried)

salt and pepper to taste


Place olive oil and butter in a pot on low heat.

Add the onions , carrots, and celery and braise, covered, for 15 minutes or so.

Add the tomatoes, the herbs, the juice from the tomatoes, and chick or vegetable stock to cover the vegetables with about an inch and a half to spare above the vegetables.

Simmer for 25 minutes on medium-low, checking the level of liquid once or twice to make sure the vegetables have enough room.

Taste carefully and add salt and pepper.

Serve with curls of parmesan and crusty bread and you've got a terrific winter meal.
************************************
What I'm reading: True Compass:Ted Kennedy





4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm joining you for Project 365 and so far have taken photos every day for 6 days. I hope to keep it up, I need the practice!

katrina said...

Aw right, Michelle! Got to go check you out! I love this challenge- if only because I love photography so much. So happy to hear!

Barb said...

Hi Katrina! I'm enjoying your photos at Project 365. The longer I look at some of them the more I see (I suppose that is the point, huh?). The more I look, the more texture I see in many of the pix.

I could ask lots of questions, but today I'll just ask if the gazebo is near your home - loved the Christmas tree inside of it.

katrina said...

Oh, thank you Barb! I'm putting more of my 365 photos in my photostream, since sometimes they don't show up on the group page - but boy, am I having fun! As the days go by, I'm seeing more and more details in daily life - some I shoot, some I don't. It's a great creativity exercise - try it!

And the bandstand ( because of the summer concerts) is a mile from my house - so I love seeing this little tree every night. I'll miss it when it's gone.