All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, December 4, 2011

little nutmeg doughnuts



Are these not the cutest little doughnuts in the world? Scented with a wee bit of rum and fresh nutmeg, they are the cutest little breakfast doughnuts I've made in years.

I used to love doughnuts, swinging by our local Dunkin' Donuts sneakily as I drove back from food shopping and school drop offs and buying one Boston Creme doughnut to savor in the car. Somewhere along the line I stopped buying them, as I snipped the carbs from my daily diet. But when I recently came across a ripped out recipe from a magazine in my files, ( no doubt from a waiting room at my doctor's office), I steamed ahead with no regard whatsoever. Carbs, hurumpf. I make these little one inch doughnuts with a shower of confectioner's sugar or a bath of cinnamon sugar - both tasty and delicious. These would be perfect for a Christmas or New Year's brunch, or a little Christmas party, or simply to celebrate the weekend.

To make about 2 dozen tiny doughnuts:

1 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 extra large egg
2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
pinch kosher salt
1/4 t. rum
1/4 cup milk plus 2 T. ( any kind of milk)

In mixer bowl, beat sugar and butter til crumbly. Add egg and mix. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and rum, and mix well. Add milk and mix again, then cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for an hour or so at room temperature.

Turn dough onto heavily floured board or counter and cut out tiny circles - I used a pastry tube and a 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter to cut out doughnuts. Flour cutters well as you use.

Bring canola oil to medium heat in a saucepan or skillet.
Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides.
Drain on brown paper or paper towels.
Sprinkle doughnuts with cinnamon sugar or confectioner's sugar and serve with a saucy smile:)


A year ago on she's in the kitchen:




Have a beautiful day!


6 comments:

FeistyCelt said...

I love nutmeg!!!!

katrina said...

Me, too, Jennifer! It has such a wonderful warm and spicy taste, doesn't it? Add the rum ( instead of vanilla), and it's just wonderful! Thanks, and happy to hear from you!

Mumsy said...

I have my 3 year old sitting with me while I check my reader this morning and she is BEGGING me to make these! They look so good. We also love nutmeg.

katrina said...

Hi Lindsey - did you notice these are the perfect size for a tea party with your 3 year old:) Glad you liked - thank you!

Barb said...

I just smiled when i saw these photos. These are just too adorable! I've never made doughnuts before, but these could lure me to the kitchen to give them a try. I love nutmeg too - so delicious.

katrina said...

Thanks, Barb! There's something about teeny, tiny treats that awakens the inner child, I think - I do hope you'll try making them! I'm imagining a snowy day, these doughnuts, and a mug of that sinful hot chocolate, yum, yum!