All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, July 11, 2009

breadmaking: sandwich flats




I have fallen in love with those new somewhat-flatbreads known as sandwich thins or sandwich flats. When I saw Two Peas and their Pod's honey-wheat bread, I decided that might make a delicious first try. After the first batch, I'm excited - the sandwich flats were just the right size, and I only have to get the seedy top and fork holes worked out .
Above, you see how I love to make those super-sandwiches! This one has a little mayonnaise, sliced basil leaves, grape tomatoes, usually smoked turkey or cheese ( or both!), and some fresh pepper -plus a nasturtium blossom, which is deliciously spicy.Obviously, the options are endless, including mini-pizzas the perfect size for children.
I cut the recipe in half, and that made 13 sandwich flats.
Two Peas and Their Pod Honey-Wheat Bread:
In mixer bowl, mix:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 packet of dry yeast ( rapid rise)
1 1/4 cups warm water
Let mixture sit for 15 minutes.
Then add:
3 T. canola oil
3 T. honey
1 t. lemon juice, fresh
good pinch of salt ( actually, several pinches, first batch needed more salt)
2 cups whole wheat flour
Mix well, switch to dough hook, and knead for about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle 2 cookie sheets with oats. Set aside.
Taking a small ball of dough, roll into a perfect ( or imperfect), circle. Place on baking sheets as you roll them out.
Continue making circles until dough is gone.
Place sheets in an unheated oven for about 20-30 minutes. They will not rise very much at all.
Remove sheets from unheated oven.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Mix a tablespoon of water and a tablespoon of honey in a small cup, brush flats with mixture.
Sprinkle with some sesame seeds, oats, and/or sunflower seeds, or whatever you prefer.
Prick flats well all over.
Slide first sheet into oven, bake approximately 20-25 minutes, then bake the second sheet.
Remove from sheets to cooling rack. Let cool completely before packaging in zip bags and freezing.
Enjoy !
Featured on TasteSpotting!


12 comments:

Tea said...

That sandwich looks so good. I could use one of them right now! :-)

katrina said...

Thanks, Tea! Oh, so good, though it needed more salt ( I just edited the post to include that notation) -
These sandwich flats are so much fun to build a sandwich on! Delighted you enjoyed.

Maria said...

LOVE your sandwich flats! I am going to try these next time with my recipe. Great adaptation! Glad you liked them!

katrina said...

Thanks, Maria - and thanks for the recipe! Still tinkering on the tops of them, but very pleased with the result!

La Table De Nana said...

These are wonderful!

katrina said...

Thanks,Nana! These were great fun to make, and I imagine several variations will be forthcoming:)

Jeanny House said...

These look great. Just one question: do you slice these in half to make the sandwich?

katrina said...

Revjen - yes. They're a little thicker than pita or naan, so you can slice and have two sturdy pieces to build a sandwich on.

Amanda said...

1) I love those sandwich thins!

2) I already printed the bread recipe from when it was posted, so this is perfect!

katrina said...

Great , Amanda! Tonight I'm going to try a multi-grain recipe for my mother, who doesn't tolerate 100% whole wheat - the recipe is so easy to work with, I'm delighted!

Elaine said...

That is lovely and original. The fact that it looks like a huge chocolate chip cookie makes it a winner with kids, me thinks! ;)

katrina said...

Hmmmm, I guess if I take off my glasses it would look a little like a choco chip cookie, - but without chips. I do think the size would be a huge hit with kids, though!