All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, July 13, 2009

even better sandwich flats



Last night I tinkered with the original sandwich flat recipe and I think the new recipe is a winner!
I'd picked up some of Bob's Red Mill High Fiber Cereal, since I couldn't find any 12 grain flour, and substituted much of the whole wheat flour with it. It's a nice semi-ground coarse flour, with oat groats, flax, oat bran, and wheat bran. It gave the sandwich flats a better texture, without the bitterness that I noticed in the all-whole-wheat recipe.
3/4 cup cereal flour mix ( or 5, 7, or 12 grain flour)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour ( I used King Arthur)
1 packet dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
Mix together in mixer bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.
Add:
3 T. canola oil
3 T. honey
1 t. fresh lemon juice
1 t. salt
1 cup King Arthur all purpose flour
1 cup King Arthur whole wheat flour
Mix well. If too sticky, add more of the cereal mixture flour - I added almost another half cup.
Knead with a dough hook for a few minutes.
Sprinkle two cookie pans with some of the cereal flour.
Pull off knobs of dough and roll into sandwich flat size discs.
Place six flats to a sheet.
Place flats into UNHEATED oven for about 20 minutes to slightly rise.
Remove pans and preheat oven to 350F.
When oven is heated, place one pan in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove to cooling rack and bake the second pan.
If you plan on freezing these, let cool completely before placing in freezer zipbags.
Enjoy!

6 comments:

Salon de Sucre said...

those are great !! I'd love mine with some raspberry jam .. yumm!! I just stumbled upon your blog and I'm in love..

katrina said...

Thanks, Room design! I love them - either whole or (very carefully) sliced across their middles. Not as filling as a usual sandwich - and super fun to make!

lisaiscooking said...

These look great! The size is perfect for so many uses.

katrina said...

Thanks, lisa! I LOVE the size, which, as you said , one can get very creative with!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making these using King Arthur Flour. I am going to make these thanks for the recipe! Joan @ King Arthur Flour

katrina said...

Hi Joan - I think you'll love them! So easy to make, and easy to adapt to whatever flours you want to use. And kids LOVE them! Just made some with a 3 ear old and she not only ate two right away, she stashed a few so she could make personal kid-pizza for dinner. Thanks so much for taking a peek!