All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Thursday, July 23, 2009

mexican chocolate scones


Now you do understand I've never been to Mexico, and have only tasted real Mexican chocolate a few times, but the marriage of chocolate and cinnamon in a chocolate tablet impressed me for life.

So it was another soggy day and I was about to visit a lovely older couple I know. They both have a hilarious sweet tooth (when I once asked their favorite food group, they said "cookies"), and I couldn't arrive empty handed. Mulling over the pantry over a strong cuppa, I decided to combine milk chocolate chips with cinnamon in a buttery scone. Perfect.

And it was. I purposely made a batch of 8 small scones, but you can double the recipe without any difficulties, making much bigger scones. They have all vanished in the space of the day, so the combination seems to be a popular one!

To make:

2 cups King Arthur flour
1 stick (4 oz) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup buttermilk
salt

Preheat oven to 375F.
Line a jellyroll sheet pan ( baking pan) with foil.

In mixer bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and cold butter.
Mix until the butter is incorporated well.
Add the milk chocolate chips and mix briefly.
Add the buttermilk and a pinch of salt and mix JUST until it comes together.
Gather the dough and pat into a circle. Roll with rolling pin so top is smooth.
Cut in circle of dough in half, then cut in half again, then two more times ( is that right?) until you have 8 triangular pieces.
Place scones on baking sheet ( you can sprinkle a few choco chips on top of each scone for a little extra chocolate) and bake for 22 minutes, or until the scones feel light when you pick one up. This is the best way of testing whether they're done. If they're still heavy, let them cook a bit more.
Remove from oven to cooling rack.
Enjoy with a strong cup of coffee or some milk.

Featured on Photograzing!

21 comments:

Elle said...

Oooh, what a great combo for a scone! I love this. Will have to try, for sure!

katrina said...

Thanks, Elle! I was surprised at how great these were - definitely a keeper!

Maria said...

Chocolate and cinnamon are great together! Love these!

katrina said...

Thanks, Maria - Absolutely agree !

AmyRuth said...

I love going to the Mayan Riveria so there is chocolate there. yummy looking scones and I like 'em a lot!
Thanks for a fun recipe for the day.
AmyRuth

katrina said...

AmyRuth - i have no idea where that is - but you can be sure I'll Google it next up. Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed the scones...

La Table De Nana said...

These look divine!

lisaiscooking said...

I love baking scones. Here's one more I need to try!

katrina said...

Thanks, Nana!

katrina said...

I think you'll like this recipe, lisa - my favorite ( before today) was apricot-buttermilk, but this one was even more delectable - glad you enjoyed.

Jennifer said...

I discovered cinnamon Mexican chocolate earlier this year and am hooked. I also like that these are mini-scones. Best of luck with TasteSpotting!

katrina said...

Thanks, Jennifer! I can't wait to get some of that real Mexican chocolate with cinnamon - haven't found any local sources, so will probably place an order online. And TasteSpotting has a new-to-me info button that lets you know if your photos are accepted. When they are, they're listed under pending ( I assume to be published when they have a slot available) - two of my photos are in the pipeline. I just love to browse at TS, even if I don't have any photos there....

Barb said...

Oh! you had to post something chocolate (that is one of my many, many weaknesses!! ha!ha!) - these look soooo delicious!

I absolutely love the comment about cookies being a "favorite food group" - I couldn't agree more!

And...I've seen you on TS - always beautiful photos from you - good luck again!

katrina said...

Hi Barb! Ah, now I understand why everyone swoons when they bite into these - it's the chocolate! What's funny is you don't notice the cinnamon standing out - just the flakiness of the scone and the milk chocolate. Made 3 batches in 2 days - and they're all gone. Glad you enjoyed that hilarious comment by that couple ( who, btw, are in their mid-80's!) - it still makes me laugh when I think of it....Have a grand weekend!

Chef Fresco said...

I've been to mexico, but I totally missed out on the chocolate! These scones look delish!

katrina said...

Hi Chefs -I can't believe you didn't follow the Mexican chocolate trail while you were there! Well - now you can try my (pseudo?) Mexican choco! Thanks!

katrina said...

Thanks, Sophie! Honestly, these scones are dangerously delicious! Much as I would love to make another batch, they are almost impossible to ignore, and you know what that means! Diet out the window.....

Q. said...

Okay I'm back! I'm having a friend over this afternoon and, being the good Southern girl that I am, decided to bake something. This was the first thing that came to mind. It's in my oven right this very minute!!! Can't wait to try it! It's making my house smell amazing!

katrina said...

Hooray! I hope you fall in love with the taste, too, Q - thanks for the feedback!

LoniG said...

These were the best scones ever! Thank you for Sharing the recipe:)

katrina said...

Hi Loni - thanks for the feedback! I love, love, love these, and my friends are ALWAYS dropping hints about these ( like "oh, have you made any of those Mexican scones lately?", or even, "J. really loves those Mexican chocolate things you make" (hint, hint) Glad you enjoyed!